    website gallery: www.fleetingglimpse.com
    biz: www.fleetingglimpse.net
    blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fleetingglimpse/

    Celtic Boar, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Celtic Boar

    M-M Guest

    What is it you are dissatisfied with? Sharpness, DOF, color fringing?

    m-m

    M-M, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Celtic Boar

    Celtic Boar Guest

    Sharpness more than anything. Even on a tripod with a fast exposure it is
    just too indistinct.

    Celtic Boar, Jul 19, 2005
  4. Celtic Boar

    M-M Guest

    If it's good at shorter focal lengths but not sharp at longer, I would
    tend to think it's motion blur or perhaps a problem with the autofocus.

    Try a test shot from a table (eliminating tripod shake) of a still
    object (eliminating motion blur).

    m-m

    M-M, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Celtic Boar

    Bill Hilton Guest

    I am thinking of a prime lens of either 300 or 400mm and
    I'm guessing you meant the 400 f/5.6 L since it's about the same price
    as the 300, while the 400 f/4 L DO is a lot more expensive?

    Anyway, I have the 300 f/4 L (non IS, alas) and my wife has the 400
    f/5.6 L (which I borrow sometimes) and both are fine. The IS feature
    is a big plus for the 300 (we have 500 f/4 L IS lenses which are
    wonderful and couldn't live without IS on them), especially if you
    shoot a lot hand-held or under less than ideal conditions for using a
    tripod.

    If you need 400 mm often then get the 400, if you need 400 just some of
    the time get the 300 and a 1.4x converter, which will show very little
    image quality drop off, though the AF will be noticeably slower with
    the 300 + 1.4x compared to the 400. I use the 400 a lot for shooting
    birds-in-flight and it's superb for that task.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Celtic Boar

    John_B Guest

    Celtic Boar,
    Have you thought of the Canon 100-400L
    f/4.5-5.6?
    Unlike the 75-300 IS (its no better then
    the 75-300)
    the 100-400L is sharp at all focal
    lengths, it also has IS which is really
    needed for those low shutter shots. Of
    course a prime will always beat a zoom
    but a zoom will always beat a prime in
    convience (to me).
    Here is a shot taken with the 100-400L
    at 400mm
    http://photography.firstchurchofthestree
    ts.com/wildlife/getting_lunch_delivered.
    htm

    "Celtic Boar" <>
    wrote in message
    75-300 Canon Zoom with IS. I am
    image from 200 -300 mm. I am thinking
    and looking hard at the Canon 300 F4L
    cons from the "PROs with CanONs.

    John_B, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Celtic Boar

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Jul 19, 2005
  8. Celtic Boar

    John_B Guest

    Thanks,
    I was about 18-20 feet away from the
    tree, the other picture I got of them
    was seeing a Natural Plumber working on
    a sewer line. :+)
    http://photography.firstchurchofthestree
    ts.com/wildlife/a_natural_plumber.htm
    same distance.

    ..com.client.newsread.com...
    <photography.firstchurchofthestreets.com
    http://photography.firstchurchofthestree
    ts.com/wildlife/getting_lunch_delivered.
    htm

    Nice. How far away were you?

    m-m[/QUOTE]

    John_B, Jul 19, 2005