Recommendations for a reliable VoIP Provider

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Richard Anderton, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. Ivor Jones wrote:

    || However I do wish that certain people would go
    || to Speakers Corner with their soapboxes <g>
    || Ivor

    hehe

    The Cable Guy, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Richard Anderton

    Dexter Guest

    Which is something no truthful person can say about Sipgate and I
    don't give a damn if anyone does thinking I am having another dig at
    Sipgate. What can't speak can't lie and customer service and the
    quality of service in general is excellent from Voipfone if it where
    not so they would be told very quickly one can phone Voipfone quite
    easily has they are not afraid to speak directly with their customers
    unlike one voip provider I know of .

    Dexter, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Richard Anderton

    Dexter Guest

    I use a Sipura ATA no time for softphones .
    You ask what do I like about Voipfone main reason they never given me
    cause to complain about them and two the audio quality is has good if
    not better than BT .

    Dexter, Jun 19, 2005
  4. Richard Anderton

    Dexter Guest

    This is what you keep telling us every time Sipgate has a little
    hiccup.
    But Ivor the gateway keeps on going down every few weeks and if I
    owned Sipgate I would have been making mighty big noises the first
    time it happened and for Sipgate staff to sit there and let it keep
    happening and do nothing to end it happening beggars belief because it
    isn't doing their reputation any good that's for sure.
    So who's fault would you say it is that the voicemail is still not
    working has it should how long has it been in beta now !!even
    Microsoft do not beta test their products for so long not that this
    bothers me personally they can take off compleatly for all I care.

    Dexter, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Richard Anderton

    obiwanji Guest

    SNIP

    Sorry Ivor, but just whose fault is it then? If they own the gateway -
    they should have bought a better one. If they rent the gateway facility
    - they should have paid more for a better SLA. In either case, perhaps
    they could have invested in a little diversity and redundancy, just
    like real Telcos do.
    What's that about "five-nines reliability"?

    -- The PG --

    obiwanji, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Richard Anderton

    Dexter Guest

    Ivor seems to think because Sipgate is free ( well it isn't really you
    do have to pay for calls other than to Sipgate users) Sipgate can do
    no wrong .
    But if Sipgate did what you are suggesting it would cost money and
    Sipgate are trying to do it on the cheap which just cannot be done
    with a highly technical operation like providing a phone service.
    BT have lots of faults but at least they do keep the service running
    24/7 likewise with Telewest .
    From what I gather Sipgate seem to have just ONE member of staff
    running the whole of the UK operation which just isn't good enough it
    is time Sipgate spent some money on more staff and possibly equipment
    and also got hold of whoever is causing the gateway failures and
    kicked them in the balls ok so employing more staff and investing in
    more equipment cost money which may mean the Sipgate have to impose a
    small monthly fee so be it .
    I received my Just dial VOIP invoice to day and do you know I am
    disgusted I am going to have to pay them £ 5.20 next month for 800
    calls to all parts of the UK some of which lasted well over an hour.
    Hell fire a fiver for calls and line rental a fiver will hardly buy a
    gallon of fuel these days .

    Dexter, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Sure... I imagine though that the lack of a profitable business model is
    one of the contributing factors on the sipgate growing pains. As the
    original poster stressed that reliability was his number 1 requirement,
    we might presume he is prepared to pay for it.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Peter Gradwell wrote:

    [snip]
    Possibly, although Sipgate were running for 6+ months in Germany before
    they started in the UK and AFAIK the German system doesn't seem to suffer
    from the problems that we are having in the UK.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 20, 2005
  9. It is also vastly less popular, because the German regulator has all but
    outlawed voip. Hence Thilo started the UK version.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Richard Anderton

    Dave Gill Guest

    That's somewhat myopic isn't it. Any particular reason (apart from a
    backhander from DT...)?

    Dave Gill, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    An interesting observation, given that Sipgate have considerably more
    subscribers in Germany than we do here. In what way have they "outlawed"
    VoIP..? Do you have links to any articles or documentation on this..? I
    ask out of genuine interest.

    What I do find hard to understand though is that given the German system
    is running on identical equipment why do we have problems that they don't
    seem to..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Hi
    Do they? I wasn't aware that was the case. Apologies.
    they are forcing everyone to use non-geographic numbers:
    http://www.regtp.de/en/aktuelles/pm/03129/index.html
    http://www.telecom.paper.nl/index.asp?location=site/news_TA.asp?type=abstract&id=50741&NR=306

    http://www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_137.html
    http://www.voip-news.com/art/7a.html
    http://www.folkstone.ca/main/community/voip/Regulation.html

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I don't have exact figures, but the customer base is quite considerably
    larger.
    Interesting, I'll have to make some enquiries..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 20, 2005
  14. Richard Anderton

    ßødincµs Guest

    24:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"

    |>My local bus service isn't exactly 100% either but I don't slag them off
    |>every time I post a message. No I don't work for Sipgate, but I do get fed
    |>up when you and others slag them off every chance you get. They are doing
    |>their best; if that isn't good enough for you then don't use them, then
    |>you'll never have to moan about them again..!
    |
    |I WILL moan or comment about anybody or company that I feel is not
    |providing a good enough service be I a customer or not Ivor. It is no
    |use Sipgate or any other telicom company saying they will give a free
    |uk local number when it only works some of the time and giving free
    |this that and the other counts for nothing take the voice mail service
    |one of the free this that and the other for instance . How many months
    |has it been in supposed beta IVOR ? believe you me Ivor
    |where Sipgate costing me anything I would be shut of them like
    |yesterday having now having had experience of the reliable service you
    |get by paying a small monthly fee to companys like VOIPfone and Just
    |dial.
    |Bear one thing in mind Ivor no one would ever think of slaging Sipgate
    |off if they got their act together there would be no reason to do so,
    |you do not see anyone slagging Voipfone or Just dial or any of the
    |other UK providers off here because the do not give people reason to
    |do so Sipgate on the other hand do give a lot of reason .......... .

    Please, use some commas here and there, Dexter! Or you have lost the
    relevant key on the keyboard?

    WTF...

    ßødincµs, Jun 21, 2005
  15. Richard Anderton

    Steve Peake Guest

    I must be missing something, but I cannot find anywhere on that site any
    info about if they charge line rental or not.

    Anyone care to give me a hint ;)

    Steve

    Steve Peake, Jun 21, 2005
  16. As far as I can tell from the articles you linked to, your statement
    is not strictly true, although I guess the net effect could be the
    same.

    It would appear that VoIP providers may give geographic numbers to
    customers, but only if that customer is already in that area.
    Otherwise they must take on a non-geographic number. This strikes me
    as not unreasonable. The gotcha is that it'd cost over EUR2M to get
    the numberspace to cover the entire country.

    However, I bet that Magrathea's costs to get full UK coverage were
    similar. Doing the same in Germany could well easily be within their
    means. They sublet number space to Sipgate, so they could do exactly
    the same in Germany to give Sipgate full German coverage and so
    sidestep the German's requirements for non-geographic numbers (unless
    of course the end-user actually wants such a number.)

    Peter Corlett, Jun 21, 2005
  17. I can confirm (having applied for some 2.5M numbers myself) that ofcom
    don't currently charge for UK number allocations.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jun 21, 2005
  18. Richard Anderton

    DJ Guest

    Dex you are starting to get boring with your continual sipgate bashing
    !!

    Give it a rest, I think we all know your opinion of them.

    DJ, Jun 23, 2005
  19. Richard Anderton

    Ivor Jones Guest

    He has been quiet for a few days <g>

    Are you still awake up there..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 23, 2005
  20. Richard Anderton

    Dexter Guest

    Why in gods name can't people let sleeping dogs lie Ivor ?
    I haven't got the slighest intrest in Sipgate anymore having given all
    family and contacts my Voiphone number now apart from yourself and you
    have my Sipgate numbers that's the reason I have been quiet.

    Dexter, Jun 23, 2005