    Need a recommendation for a compact dig. camera that must stand up to
    abuse in the outdoors. Would like to find something as capable as
    possible in as small a package as possible. TIA for any suggestions.

    a6016, Nov 22, 2005

  2. a6016

    Scott W Guest

    I have a Pentax Optio WP, it is water proof to 5 feet and is very
    small. It takes good photos, if and this is a bit if you have a lot of
    light. It does very poorly in low light. But for outdoors where it
    can get wet I might be a good choice, I take it out on and in the
    ocean all the time.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiowp.asp

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 22, 2005

  3. a6016

    eawckyegcy Guest

    www.google.com: digital camera withstand abuse

    and start reading. Try similar queries. I carry a Pentax Optio WR43
    all the time simply because it is small and is water-proof to a limited
    extent. None of these inexpensive cameras will survive much of a bang
    -- think of the the zoom/focus mechanisms. Use a padded container.
    Bring more than one. Expect to lose equipment to entropy.

    eawckyegcy, Nov 22, 2005
  4. a6016

    Lourens Smak Guest

    read this:
    http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=15554

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Per :
    Also, consider vibration. After carrying one in my hip pack mountain biking
    for some months, I discovered that two of the six itty-bitty Phillips head
    screws that hold the case together had disappeared.

    Couple inches of clear mylar tape fixed it, but it's something to keep in mind.

    (PeteCresswell), Nov 23, 2005
  6. a6016

    Bolshoy Huy Guest

    Kodak C330 4mp, or C340 and so on.
    fits in your shirt pocket, rugged, nice pics.
    I give it 3/4 to 3 1/2/4 stars.
    got it for $159.
    you could get an HP M417 5mp for $134 from Staples.

    Bolshoy Huy, Nov 23, 2005
  7. a6016

    Celcius Guest

    HI!

    I Googled "water resistant" (some are also "shock resistant", such as the
    Casio and Bushnell):
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-outdoor-3-2-mp-camera.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0110/01101101casiogv10.asp
    http://tinyurl.com/dgzca
    http://tinyurl.com/7l89o

    It seems the Bushnell ourdoor 3.3 MP, 4x digital (yes, "digital") has the
    most to offer (water, dust and shock resistant).

    Marcel

    Celcius, Nov 23, 2005