    I don't edit much video, but Cinelerra works for freeware video edits
    (mostly just trimming the ends).

    But what do you use on iPad for equivalent freeware photo & video editing?

    Liam O'Connor, Mar 10, 2014

  2. Liam O'Connor

    Guest Guest

    since you have a new ipad, get iphoto.

    there are other options but the better ones aren't free.

    Guest, Mar 10, 2014

  3. iPhoto is a very good basic photo editing app. It's free.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 10, 2014
  4. Liam O'Connor

    Guest Guest

    Strange, if I access iPhoto via the App Store I find that Apple wants $4.99.
    < https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphoto/id497786065?mt=8 >[/QUOTE]

    it's free for those who bought an ipad or iphone after september 1,
    2013, which original poster has done.

    Guest, Mar 10, 2014
  5. Liam O'Connor

    Lewis Guest

    Honestly, iPhoto is one of the best.
    iMovie.

    Lewis, Mar 10, 2014
  6. Strange, if I access iPhoto via the App Store I find that Apple wants $4.99.
    < https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iphoto/id497786065?mt=8 >[/QUOTE]

    Sorry, I though it was part of the free bundle that was offered with
    iOS 7 and new iOS devices.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 11, 2014
  7. So I was right in the first place. *sigh*

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 11, 2014
  8. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    Sorry, I though it was part of the free bundle that was offered with
    iOS 7 and new iOS devices.[/QUOTE]

    The iPhoto on my iPad is NOT the same as the one on my old iPad nor on my
    laptop. I assumed it came with the new iPad. ??

    Erilar, Mar 11, 2014
  9. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    You can do quite a bit with the current iPhoto on the new iPad, I've
    discovered.

    Erilar, Mar 11, 2014
  10. Liam O'Connor

    Guest Guest

    it's definitely different than what's on your laptop.

    it might be different than what you had on your previous ipad,
    depending on what version that was.

    Guest, Mar 11, 2014
  11. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    Thank you! I was beginning to think it was my imagination :cool:

    Yes, it's very different than what's on the old iPad, which is still next
    to my chair here, because the whole clump of new map apps iOS 7 uses STILL
    can't give me what the old Maps can. I use it, then grab the results to
    mail to myself to add to "albums" of trip prep stuff.

    Erilar, Mar 12, 2014
  12. Liam O'Connor

    Sandman Guest

    You have Apples version of Google Maps on your old iPad, while the new
    iPads come with Apples Maps application, which doesn't return as much or as
    good results as Google Maps.

    The solution? Download Google Maps to your new iPad - it's free and works
    beautifully on your iPad.

    Sandman, Mar 12, 2014
  13. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    Oh, it's much better than the sorry Applemaps, but it still lacks decent
    bookmarking, some map style choices, and a decent, easy to use Street View
    all in one app. i have googlemaps, google earth(which at least allows me
    access to "My Places", which I can modify on my laptop), another app with
    more usable transit directions, and VERY limited "multi-tasking" on the
    iPad even in its newest incarnation. All except the access to "my Places"
    is in a single easy to use app, Maps, on my neolithic iPad, which, by the
    way, also allows me more control over the locations associated with my
    contacts.

    Erilar, Mar 12, 2014
  14. Liam O'Connor

    Sandman Guest

    Huh? You can "star", i.e. bookmark, any location.
    Huh? Not sure what you mean here,it has satellite view and map view - same
    as the old Google Maps app on your old iPad. Unless you mean hybrid view
    which is a mashup of the two? But Google Maps satellite view already
    overlays some information, so it's about the same.
    What's "undecent" and hard to use with the street view in the current
    Google Maps app? Works as advertised if you ask me
    Sounds to me it's about the same... You can bookmark, see map/satellite
    view and you have street view.
    Not sure what kind of control you're after in a map app...

    Sandman, Mar 13, 2014
  15. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    And it takes 3-4 clicks through from the map to find them, all lumped
    together with anything I've looked at briefly, instead of a single
    pull-down menu from my current map,where I can choose bookmarks, contacts,
    or recent hunts by a little finger movement.
    No contour.
    Again several clicks to access what seems to be more limited when it
    exists, instead of a single click on a corner of the screen.
    And I have to use multiple apps for anything else.
    Original Maps control. Only Google Earth gives me a couple options beyond
    that, and I had that before as well.

    Erilar, Mar 13, 2014
  16. Liam O'Connor

    Sandman Guest

    I'm assuming you're only doing this when pressed for time and out jogging?
    :)
    What does that mean?
    So two clicks is "undecent" and one is "decent". Sounds weird to me.
    But that "anything else" isn't included in the Apple version of Google Maps
    on your original iPad, though.
    I thought you talked about control over your contacts?

    Sandman, Mar 13, 2014
  17. Google maps works great, except there is one basic (therefore
    serious) flaw with Google Maps that Apple Maps has right
    (as does the Garmin Nuvi).

    You can't REPEAT the last spoken instruction on Google Maps!

    It's such a basic requirement of any automotive map program
    that I'm sure there MUST be a way to force Google Maps to
    repeat the last spoken direction. But I can't find it.

    By way of utterly stark contrast, in a Garmin Nuvi or on
    Apple Maps, all it takes is a single logical obvious button
    press on the next-turn arrow to make it repeat the last
    spoken direction (recalculated if you've moved since the
    last time it was spoken).

    The fact that Google Maps is totally missing this extremely
    basic capability, shows that even the venerable Google Maps
    is far from usable, as compared to a real Garmin Nuvi portable
    GPS device.

    Angelique Begnaud, Mar 14, 2014
  18. Liam O'Connor

    Erilar Guest

    At 79 I don't jog. I stroll or plod :cool:. and I don't take my iPad, I take
    my dog.
    I play with maps sitting.Terrain. Don't kmow why I called it contour. I actually DO have an app for
    contour maps, however.
    It takes a minimum of three clicks, since it already takes 2-3 to find the
    bookmarks to find out IF Street View is available for a given starred
    location.
    Three or four instead of a pull-down menu.
    The new google maps requires multiple clicks for almost everything the
    original had pull-down menus for(or a corner click for Street View)
    Location. The old one let me correct the misses and save them as I pleased,
    either as easily-available bookmarks or in my Contacts.
    Location corrections.

    Erilar, Mar 14, 2014
  19. Liam O'Connor

    Sandman Guest

    I am talking about Googles Map app, that has satellite and map view. The
    satellite view has an overlay of labels.
    I don't have the original iPad here in my office, but are you saying that
    it has four map views? Maps, Satellite, Hybrid and "Contour"? A quick
    google suggest that this is actually the case. I didn't know that (or had
    forgotten). Maybe because I don't find it a very useful feature. What do
    you use it for?
    But, the original comment wasn't about "decent, easy to use Street View for
    bookmarks", which is why I didn't include that in my steps. You have
    different methods to arrive at a location result, and getting to streetview
    from that is two clicks.
    BUt you also have to click to get to bookmarks on the original iPad, so you
    have to include those clicks as well. For Street View on a starred item in
    Google Maps:

    1. Click user icon
    2. Click on saved place
    3. Click on result
    4. Click on Street view

    Again, I don't have the original iPad here, but to my knowledge, you have:

    1. Click bookmarks menu
    2. Click bookmark
    3. Click on location
    4. Click street view

    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    While I don't remember this "corner click" you've talked about - I still
    don't see how the number of clicks are so substantially more in the new
    app - nor do I understand what the huge problem is if it were, the
    functions are still there.
    Yeah, ok, I see what you mean. And yes, that part is different.

    Sandman, Mar 14, 2014
  20. I don't use Google Maps; I don't even have it installed. But the lack
    of that one feature doesn't make it "far from usable".

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 14, 2014