    articles on the digital cameras, but they don't really address my special
    needs. Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

    -- kc

    Tom C., Jul 10, 2005

  2. Tom C.

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    I'd suggest reading about portraiture and product photography before
    deciding on equipment. Then you can have a better handle on what you'll
    actually need.

    A place to start: <http://photography.about.com/od/peopleandportraits/>

    Depending on the quality you need, you could go with anything from a
    prosumer-level macro point-and-shoot and hardware store clamp lights, to
    an SLR with a macro lens in the 50-85mm range, a couple strobes, a light
    meter, and a backdrop. But always with a tripod. :)

    Paul Mitchum, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Tom C.

    Roy Guest

    Hi.

    I rather suspect you might be taking on a bit more than you imagine.

    The Portraiture you want for your Portfolio, will need to be of a high
    standard. You would need to acquire a fair amount of equipment and a lot
    of skill. You probably have the "artistic" ability already, but Portraiture
    is one of the most technically demanding of Photographic Genres.

    Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time learning to become a good
    photographer, you would probably be best getting in touch with a local
    Professional or Semi Professional.

    You might even find a keen Amateur who would be interested in co-operating
    with you, if you would reciprocate by acting as a Stylist for their own
    Shoots.

    Do make sure that you check out the Photographers Portfolios to ensure that
    they take the style of pictures you want.

    Roy G

    ..

    Roy, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Tom C.

    Mark² Guest

    You sound like you are considering a digital point-and-shoot, or all-in-one
    for professional facial images.
    Is this what you mean? If so, I think this is a huge mistake.
    If you're considering using the built-in flash on ANY camera, your results
    will look really really bad on the professional scale--especially for facial
    close-ups.

    -Unless it's just some cheesy before-and after photos like we see in
    newspaper ads, you'll want to look into at LEAST an extermal flash unit a
    diffuser/soft box, or umbrella set up...short of larger studio lighting.

    Mark², Jul 11, 2005
  5. Tom C.

    Mike Henley Guest

    You need a business tool to do a specific job so unlike those who
    suggested you go for a full gear I'll suggest you get the cheapest
    that'll do.

    First of how will you be using the pictures? are you going to enlarge
    and print them or are you going to post them on a website? does having
    correct and accurate skin tones and colours matter or not? do you work
    in a shop and if so at what times, will you have access to daylight, or
    do you visit clients in their homes?

    I think those above are the main questions.

    Mike Henley, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Hire a professional photographer. You'll get quality photos that you can
    proudly show prospective clients. If you try to do it yourself, it will
    be a disaster. From your questions, you know what you need, but not how
    to obtain it. A recipe for failure. Hardware alone, no matter the
    quality or the auto-features, can't make you a credible photographer.
    That takes learning and years of practice.

    So, again, hire a pro, pay the money. You'll have a portfolio you can
    use.

    Stefan

    stefan patric, Jul 11, 2005
  7. Tom C.

    Mark² Guest

    Probably the best advice...

    Mark², Jul 11, 2005
  8. Tom C.

    Tom C. Guest

    Yes, Mike. Thanks to those who responded, but Mike here has got the idea.
    And, yes, it is those "cheesey" before and after photos I'm looking to take!
    Maybe the term "portfolio" is what skewed the responses. This is not like a
    model's portfolio, but just decent shots that show my work, but maybe don't
    necessarily show the person in the best possible way. It's the work I did
    that I need to display to others.
    I will be using 4x7 prints to show to other clients. Some of these will be
    scanned and put on a web site and maybe eventually a print brochure.
    Exact skins tones is not a necessity; close will do.
    The work is done in a salon/spa environment both in the day and evening.
    During the day I can go outside into daylight, but here in south Florida the
    sun is brutal of 6 months out of the year, so I'm more inclined to want to
    take the pix indoors. Hope this helps, and thanks for sticking with this
    thread. -- kc

    Tom C., Jul 11, 2005
  9. Tom C.

    Mark² Guest

    Yes. The word "Portfolio" is typically used for a collection of images
    meant to impress. For photographers, these would consist of ONLY the very
    best images the photog can produce. That's why I asked if it was more along
    the lines of a newspaper before-and-after idea. For that...You'd probably
    do just fine with a point-and-shoot digital.

    When you said portfolio, I thought you were producing some sort of layout
    for a maufacturer that was to be presented to corporate clients, or the
    like.

    Mark², Jul 11, 2005
  10. Tom C.

    Mike Henley Guest

    The fujifilm finepix f10 can be had for ~$300 online. If that's an
    affordable price I would go for it. If this is too much for budget let
    me know.

    Mike Henley, Jul 11, 2005
  11. Tom C.

    Tom C. Guest

    I could go up to $500 budget wise. Would that change your recommendation? --
    kc

    Tom C., Jul 11, 2005
  12. Tom C.

    Mike Henley Guest

    No it wouldn't. This camera is THAT good. Much better than more
    expensive ones; no other camera under $500 will take better pictures
    indoors. Read about it in the "Professional reviews" linked to here

    http://www.dcviews.com/_fuji/f10.htm

    Mike Henley, Jul 11, 2005
  13. Tom C.

    Mike Henley Guest

    Clarification - no other camera under $500 will take *even nearly as
    good* pictures indoors!

    Mike Henley, Jul 12, 2005
  14. Tom C.

    Tom C. Guest

    OK, Mike. That'll be the one then. Thanks very much for this points.
    regards, kc

    Tom C., Jul 12, 2005