    Allan

    (originally/initially posted on uk.diy http://tinyurl.com/o6rrpdq, but
    as suggested there, posted here)

    Allan, Dec 18, 2013

  2. Allan

    Woody Guest

    [xpost uk.telecom.voip & uk.telecom.broadband]

    Any recommendations for a DSL modem/router with wireless and VOIP please
    (manufacturer and/or model)? Any gotchas? 4 ethernet ports, and one
    VOIP/ATA port would be sufficient. Am thinking about upgrading existing
    modem/router to include wireless and VOIP. Don't need DECT. Doesn't
    need to be anything over-spec'd, just sit and do its job quietly and
    reliably. An on-board firewall would be useful, although I imagine most
    have them these days? Had a look at Fritzbox, but they seem quite over
    spec'd for what I want.
    TIA
    Allan

    (originally/initially posted on uk.diy http://tinyurl.com/o6rrpdq, but
    as suggested there, posted here)

    The Vigor models by Draytek have a very good reputation. TP-Link also do routers with built-in VoIP and are rather cheaper.

    Woody, Dec 18, 2013

  3. But TP-LINLK you do get what you pay for.

    My cheap TP-limk

    - usually crashed the web sessions at least every third key press
    - consistently failed to deliver decent wifi performance - I mean it
    reported 53Mbps and delivered about 50k...
    - was jerky and spasmodic with more than two PCs connected to it
    - had features that simply didnt work - the firewall for example. I am a
    very experienced setter up of kit but any attempt to enable any
    firewalling reuslted in being locked out of the thing altogether.

    Frankly after the 6ths factory reset, I gave up.
    The overall impression was of a reasonable chipset under the hood with
    insufficient memory/CPU to do the job, and with enough features to fill
    the space on the box art, but only enough that actually worked to sell
    in volume to people who would never ever use them.

    I respect that for what it is, and it is still my emergency spare, but
    the cisco I got S/H for a little more than a new VOIP TP link is a whole
    lot better.

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 18, 2013
  4. Allan

    Chris Davies Guest

    We use Draytek Vigor devices of various sorts for the networking
    part of this and find them very reliable. Firewall, QoS, LAN/VLAN
    routing if you want it, good endpoint VPN service (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP,
    OpenVPN). The UK support team is fairly helpful on the odd occasion we
    have needed to call them. I haven't used these devices for VoIP, but
    they have a good reputation. There are a number of similar but different
    devices in the family. Some have wireless. Some have VoIP. Some are
    routers and others are xDSL/routers. Be careful that you get the model
    you need!

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Dec 19, 2013
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Thanks for all the advice. Plumped for a Draytek Vigor (and there's a
    very nice comparison chart of all their models on their website which
    really helps).
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison

    Allan, Dec 20, 2013