    cheap), then buy a wirelss N router in a year or two when all the "draft N"
    router has disappeared and the price of real wireless N router has come
    down.

    james, Jan 13, 2010

  2. Hi
    At the moment, my philosophy for regular use, I get the Buffalo WHR-HP-54G
    which is the top of the 802.11G devices.
    The only use of a Draft_N is close range HD video streaming, when for some
    good reason it must be done through Wireless.
    Otherwise, in most all cases there is No real need of it.
    Might be that in the middle of the year when the old N stuff be gone and new
    devices will come out it would be a different picture.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 13, 2010

  3. james

    seaweedsl Guest

    I'll second that. Exactly. An acceptable alternative (not as
    good) is the old standby Linksys WRT54GL (L is the only version of
    this onerecommended).

    I have also heard that the Linksys dual band (no model number, sorry)
    N router is one of the better ones.

    Steve

    seaweedsl, Jan 14, 2010
  4. james

    smlunatick Guest

    When I first read the Wireless N protocol was made official, I believe
    I did read that most "Draft 2.0" hardware was to be considered as the
    "defacto" official Wireless N hardware.

    As for the proper hardware, so far the "soho" level of Wireless N
    products from but Linksys and D-Link are "problematic." The quality,
    reliability and "inter-operatability" are questionable. Some products
    do not work well and several different batches "fail."

    Look at Netgear products.

    smlunatick, Jan 15, 2010