Recommend a throught provoking movie?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by opticreep, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. opticreep

    opticreep Guest

    Can anybody recommend any thought-provoking movies? I'm not
    necessarily looking for only cerebral talky-talky movies. I have found
    that many genres of movies --- from comedy, to action, to scifi, to
    horror --- can also make a viewer *think* if it's done right. I guess
    some movies just manage to stay with me longer than, say, "Spiderman"
    or "Red Dragon". Those movies were enjoyable enough, but I'll be
    darned if I remember anything about them a week after I see them.

    One thing I detest are all those damn holocaust movies. A lot of them
    are actually "good" movies, but every single one of them feel like damn
    self-pitying woe-be-us propaganda to me. Needless to say, I stopped
    enjoying those movies after the 99th "award-winning" holocaust movie
    was belched out of Hollywood. Anyway, I'd appreciate any
    recommendations, especially for good, though-provoking movies that were
    done in the '90s (or later). For the record, my taste in movies are as
    follows:

    --Good movies I liked--
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Angel Heart
    Blade Runner Director's Cut
    Almost Famous
    Vanilla Sky (yes, the remake)
    Heat

    --Good movies that just didn't click with me--
    Taxi Driver
    Chinatown
    The Conversation
    Mulholland Drive
    21 grams
    A Beautiful Mind
    American Beauty
    Usual Suspects
    Shawshank Redemption
    American History X
    25th Hour
    Mystic River

    --Movies I REALLY REALLY LIKED--
    Memento
    Punch Drunk Love
    Crouching Tiger
    Lost in Translation
    28 Days Later (horror, NOT the Sandra Bullock movie)
    Solaris (remake)
    Collateral
    A.I.
    Being John Malkovich

    --Movies I HATED--
    2001 Space Odyssey
    Gladiator
    Gone with the Wind
    Magnolia
    The Matrix Trilogy
    Braveheart
    A Clockwork Orange

    opticreep, Feb 10, 2005

  2. opticreep

    Tielo Guest

    Try Casshern, looks great and makes you think.

    Plot: In a world with an alternate history a great war finally comes to an
    end leaving the earth diseased and polluted. The geneticist Dr. Azuma vies
    for support from the government for his 'neo-cell' treatment that he claims
    can rejuvenate the body and regenerate humankind. The government leaders,
    guarding their own deeply entrenched powers, turn down the professor. Driven
    to complete his work Dr. Azuma accepts a secret offer from a sinister
    faction of the powerful military. After an incident occurs in Dr. Azuma's
    lab a race of mutant humans known as the Shinzo Ningen are unleashed upon
    the world. Now only the warrior known as Casshern, reincarnated with an
    invincible body, stands between the Shinzo Ningen and a world on the brink
    of annihilation.

    Tielo, Feb 10, 2005

  3. opticreep

    theyak Guest

    I would have recommended Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS. Should be suitably
    anti-semetic for the orginaly poster's taste.

    theyak, Feb 10, 2005
  4. opticreep

    Jay G. Guest

    Based on the list you provided, here's some recommendations:

    Following
    Adaptation
    Cube
    Hero (w/ Jet Li)
    Brazil
    Infernal Affairs
    Primer
    Pi
    Shaun of the Dead
    Avalon (2001)
    12 Monkeys
    Battle Royale
    Fight Club

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 10, 2005
  5. opticreep

    Bill Turner Guest

    I was going to reply until I saw the list of movies you "HATED".

    We come from different planets.

    --
    BT

    Stan Brown, Feb 10, 2005
  7. I would think that you would love "Monkey Bone".

    Bernie Woodham, Feb 10, 2005
  8. opticreep

    Chris Guest

    Foreign film, Burnt by the sun.

    Chris, Feb 10, 2005
  9. opticreep

    Biz Guest

    The Red Violin...

    Biz, Feb 10, 2005
  10. opticreep

    Frohike Guest

    Blood Simple

    Frohike, Feb 10, 2005
  11. opticreep

    opticreep Guest

    Yes, of course.

    Just because I've grown weary of all the gazillions of repetitive
    self-aggrandizing, self-pitying, holocaust docudramas that have been
    made in recent years, it must mean I'm what you call an anti "semetic".

    opticreep, Feb 10, 2005
  12. opticreep

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Refresh my memory and name 3, please.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 10, 2005
  13. Well, before I even got to your list, I was thinking of Solyaris, the
    original Russian version, not the Clooney remake. Criterion DVD is
    avial through Netflix. You liked the Clooney remake, but hated
    2001:ASO. so I've got no clue whether you'll like this or not. It is
    thought of as Russia's answer to 2001, and it's reminscent of 2001 in
    the way it's shot. It also, like 2001, has a completely inexplicable
    ending. So what, I saw it last summer and am still thinking about it.
    Very cool stuff, IMHO, but I can't get any of my friends to sample it.
    This is one I might actually get around to buying, and actually
    purchasing a DVD is something I rarely do.

    -Beaumon

    lorincantrell, Feb 10, 2005
  15. opticreep

    Joe Blow Guest

    Cannibal Holocaust
    Ninja Holocaust
    Vampire Holocaust

    JB

    Joe Blow, Feb 10, 2005
  16. opticreep

    opticreep Guest

    The Pianist
    Jakob the Liar
    Schindler's List

    opticreep, Feb 10, 2005
  17. opticreep

    Nonymous Guest

    The Grey Zone
    Bent
    Life is Beautiful

    Personally, though, I'd hardly call genre "gazillion" movies. It doesn't
    even average out to 1 a year.

    Nonymous, Feb 10, 2005
  18. opticreep

    markymark Guest

    nice list! i've seen your posts here for years but now i know you're not
    only knowlegable, you also have good taste in flix ;)

    (i don't know "avalon" though....i'll have to check that out)

    -mark

    markymark, Feb 10, 2005
  19. opticreep

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Pianist is 2002, recent
    Jakob is 1999, 6 years ago, maybe recent
    Schindler is 1993, 12 years ago, not recent IMHO, but YMMV.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 10, 2005
  20. opticreep

    opticreep Guest

    Who are you to define what's "recent"?

    I started the thread, so I get to define what it means (mwahahaha).

    I'd define "recent" as in the post-Schindler's List era. Afterall,
    that's the trend-setting movie that started a deluge of Holocaust
    movies and documentaries vying for the film industry's top awards.
    There was even a big hoopla a few years ago about an oversaturation of
    Holocaust films being made. Apparently, these movies and documentaries
    are gobbling up a bunch of awards in Hollywood. IIRC, there was even a
    streak going where holocaust-themed documentaries won Oscars (or Emmys
    or whatever) for about X years in a row.

    Google it if you don't believe me. Make a holocaust documentary or
    movie, and your chances of getting awards and recognition are tripled
    overnight! It's like that old saying about actors trying to get Oscar
    recognition by portraying mentally retarded characters.

    opticreep, Feb 10, 2005