    back .. there's that HP logo, so it's obvious it's come from a home
    printer.

    Does anyone sell photopaper that doesn't have this?

    ash.london, May 26, 2006

  2. You can use other papers in the HP and you can use the HP paper in other
    printers.

    I might suggest that HP has some rather high end printers that few
    non-professionals can afford. Personally I would not worry. Who cares how
    you make a good photo, it is a matter of how good it is.

    In any case you may need to try different papers until you find one that
    works well for you and your printer. Paper is as important as the ink and
    the printer in the process. It is a combined effort of all three.

    If you post your printer model, maybe others with the same model may be
    able to make some specific suggestions that have worked for them.

    Joseph Meehan, May 26, 2006

  3. ash.london

    Burt Guest

    Costco's Kirkland glossy photo paper has no logo on the back and produces
    prints on my Canon printer that look like lab prints. A friend tried a few
    sheets in his HP printer and said the results were fine. $19 for 125 sheets
    of 8.5x11 paper is a great price, and it would be worth $19 to try it. If
    you don't like the result you can always find a friend with a Canon printer
    and give him/her a nice gift!

    Burt, May 26, 2006
  4. The easier solution is to get some printable labels and stick them on
    the back of the sheet. Averys are expensive, Staples /used/ to carry
    30-packs of full sheet labels over by where the brochure and similar
    specialty papers are, /not/ on the aisle with the labels, for $10. I'm
    not sure if they still have this.

    ---

    http://www.FenrirOnline.com

    Computer services, custom metal etching,
    arts, crafts, and much more.

    Fenrir Enterprises, May 26, 2006
  5. ash.london

    ash.london Guest

    Thanks, but I'm in England. I'll look around..

    ash.london, May 27, 2006
  6. ash.london

    measekite Guest

    from what i have heard is that hp paper works better in hp printers than
    anything else. i use kirkland photo paper with canon ink in my canon
    ip4000 and get results that rival canon photo paper pro. for under
    $20.00 plus the cost of a fiskars rotary paper cutter you can give it a
    try and if it does not work costco will take it back no questions
    asked. the cut sheet 4x6 is made by anhother mfg and is not as
    white-bright. the full sheet may be made by ilford photo company.

    measekite, May 27, 2006
  7. ash.london

    tomm42 Guest

    Try Ilford, for a dye printer Ilford Classic, a pigmented ink printer
    use the Ilford paper that doesn't say Classic. Don't sweat the small
    stuff, and this is truely small stuff. The classic story is with the HP
    Design Jet 30-130 printers there is a certain HP paper these printers
    get up to 100 year fade life according to Wilhelm, Wilhelm tried a
    Staples paper in the designjet printers and by the same testing got a
    figure of less than 3 year life span. Just to illustrate there is more
    to paper / ink combinations than meets the eye. Other HP papers won't
    work as well, you have to buy the HP paper recommended for these
    printers.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 27, 2006
  8. ash.london

    measekite Guest

    many are pretty sure that ilford classic is sold under the
    costco/kirkland name in the full sheet box. it says made in switzerland
    and i do not know of any other paper company in switzerland that
    produces photo paper.

    measekite, May 27, 2006
  9. ash.london

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Where HAVE you been? You can buy paper branded by Kodak, HP, Epson, and
    many other brands. Just look at Office Depot, or Staples.
    Note that using the paper made by the printer manufacturer will usually
    give better results with less painful 'tweaking' of the printer settings.

    Ron Hunter, May 27, 2006
  10. ash.london

    Burt Guest

    Epson glossy photo papers have a logo on the back. Kodak glossy papers
    require altering settings. I had problems with Kodak papers in an Epson
    dye-based printer with ink not drying for the longest time and bronzing in
    the dark areas. Using the special settings suggested by Kodak tech support
    still didn't do it. I don't know how they perform in Canon or HP printers,
    but that one experience was enough for me.

    Burt, May 27, 2006
  11. I would expect it to be difficult to find a paper that will work as well
    as the original. Note: the question of longevity should be considered as
    well. However if the label means a lot of the OP, then look he should and
    should consider the trade offs.

    Joseph Meehan, May 27, 2006
  12. Rather than change paper, change your attitude. I'm rather proud of the
    photos I've printed. Why be ashamed of what you do?

    Edwin Pawlowski, May 27, 2006
  13. ash.london

    Taliesyn Guest

    Interesting "fear of being found out" you have. :)

    In my case, people get blown away when I tell them: "Oh, I printed that
    on my printer".

    I don't tell them I used inexpensive aftermarket ink - otherwise they'll
    be queuing at my door with their digital cameras in hand.

    -Taliesyn

    Taliesyn, May 27, 2006
  14. ash.london

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kodak paper works great in HP printers, but then the ink and paper were
    designed to be compatible. Today's printers and ink are a chemical
    match for eachother, which is why using the paper recommended by the
    printer/ink manufacturer is a good idea.

    Ron Hunter, May 27, 2006
  15. ash.london

    J. Clarke Guest

    Why is it "obvious that it came from a home printer"? It's obvious that it
    was printed with an inkjet. The person holding it has no way of knowing
    whether it was a $50 bargain-basement cheapie or a $20K roll-size 8-color
    RIP-ed monster other than the quality of the image.

    And why does it matter anyway?

    J. Clarke, May 27, 2006
  16. ash.london

    Gary Tait Guest

    You don't know that for sure, any more that the very same manufacturers of
    quality aftermarket ink could be manufacturing OEM ink under contract.

    Gary Tait, May 27, 2006
  17. ash.london

    Jim Guest

    i have no experience with HP. But as far as a logo on the back, who
    much cares. So much printing is done on inkjet these days. Kodak, Fuji
    and every other photo processor did this for years. Personally, I use
    Ilford paper on my Epson printers. In particular the Classic Pearl for
    portraits/people/interiors and Classic Smooth for landscapes and other
    "glossy" applications. I find the subdued gloss more attractive. Yes
    it is expensive (about 14.00 US/25 sheets) but it is pretty paper.
    If I have bulk printing to do, I just take the image to my local photo
    processor. Its faster and cheaper.

    Jim, May 27, 2006
  18. ash.london

    measekite Guest

    costco/kirkland photo glossy (presumed to be Ilford) is 125 sheets for
    under $20.00. it seems you are overpaying for the same thing.

    measekite, May 27, 2006
  19. ash.london

    measekite Guest

    costco/kirkland/ilford works great in a canon printer with canon ink.
    while paper is important it is more important to use factopry ink so you
    do not ruin the printer. paper is either good or bad but bad ink will
    give your printer the long kiss goodbye.

    measekite, May 27, 2006
  20. ash.london

    Marvin Guest

    I regularly use Kodak papers with my HP printers. The Kodak
    EasyShare software (free download from kodak.com) makes it
    easy to do - it has built-in settings for most printers.
    Some other papers don't work well with HP inks.

    Marvin, May 27, 2006