    least the demo version is anyway).
    Anyone able to recommend anything?
    Thanks

    ve7eje, Oct 28, 2009

  2. ve7eje

    bod43 Guest

    Dynamips with dynagen.

    Its not a simulator, but an emulator - which is good,
    and bad.

    It's good since it is a real IOS router (an arbitrary number of
    which you can run on a PC), but bad since you need
    a real IOS image. Well only bad if you can't get one:-(
    Anyone with a clue or a service contract can:)

    Obviously the number of routers that can be emulated
    on a PC is resource constrained but 6 or 8 or 10
    seemed OK on a dual core 2GHz x 2GB DRAM
    laptop on windows (cygwin). - YMMV. I have the idea
    that native linux might well be a LOT faster but have
    not yet evaluated it.

    There is also a graphical front end for dynagen.
    gns3 looks like it, never tried it tho'.

    To run a load of routers on a single PC needs a bit of care.
    It's all documented. Use less exotic routers, 2600, 3600
    instead of 7200, use sparse memory, use (oh I forget)
    whatever they call it that allows a single code image to
    service >1 router. Use 2 instances of dynamips since
    unless on 64bit OS there is not enough virtual memory.
    If you like use >1 computer. All beautifully seamless.
    I think dynamips is single threaded so if you have dual
    core you need two instances of dynamips to use
    them - can't really recall that exactly either. Have
    a go yourself.

    Whole thing is a true WORK of ART - be in AWE.

    mmap = True
    ghostios = True
    sparsemem = True

    bod43, Oct 29, 2009