    Any practical tips are welcome.

    Thanks,

    Simon

    Simon McMenzie, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Simon McMenzie

    Marc Libom Guest

    I'm awaiting delivery of a new Canon EOS 300d and would like advice on

    The transfer speed depends on two main points: 1. how fast the card internal
    controller is and 2. how fast the camera controller is. So it can be, you
    cannot get positive effect of a pretty fast card, because the camera
    controller is the bottle neck.

    General hints: buy your card only from the big players (kingston, lexar,
    transcent, sandisk etc.) because many unknown manufacturers are selling
    labeled b-quality. There is nothing worse as being prevented from getting
    the perfect image, only the card goes on strike. The big players usually
    have ECC (automatic detection and repair of damaged segments) and give 5
    year or lifetime warranty and a really helping international helpdesk. To
    buy two 512 instead of one 1GB has pros and cons. You can get two 512 MB
    cards probably cheaper than the one 1 GB. If something happens (damage,
    lost), only half of the pictures are spoilt. You can transfer pics or give
    the card another one and still use the second card for making pictures.

    Marc Libom, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Simon McMenzie

    Ed E. Guest

    I bought a good Transcend 45x 512MB card and a cheap 256MB from a local
    department store. Then I bought a 40GB Tripper portable storage unit.

    About $475 initial expense, but here's my logic... I almost exclusively
    use the 512MB card. When I'm out somewhere that I'll fill the 512MB, I take
    along the Tripper. With the 45x card, it copes data at rougly 100MB per
    minute so it takes less than 6 minutes to dump a full card. But in that 6
    minute window, I put in the 256MB card in case something happens that I want
    to capture. The 256MB card is also some peace of mind in the unlikely event
    that the 512MB will die partway through an event.

    If I had the money, I would have gone with the 1GB card instead of the
    512MB. But for just a little more than a good 1GB card, I got a 40GB
    storage device.

    And the read & write times are exactly the same whether it's a 1GB card or a
    512MB card of the same brand and speed.

    Ed E., Dec 5, 2003
  4. Simon McMenzie

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Simon McMenzie, says...
    Forget the transfer speed. I'm more inclinded to go with 2x512 simply so
    you don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 5, 2003