    to get a fast L lens for that price) and something wide enough to shoot for
    later panorama stitching.

    Any suggestions?

    Tony Rice, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Tony Rice

    SMS Guest

    No such animal really. Get the 17-85IS, which is 27-136mm equivalent.
    It's a compromise lens, wide-open it's not wide-angle, and at maximum
    telephoto, it's still too short for getting the batter connecting to the
    ball, unless you're really close.

    SMS, Jul 6, 2006

  3. I like the basic kit lens. It is a 18-55 f3.5. It is light weight and a
    nice range for most photos. It feels very plastic, but it does produce good
    photos.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Tony Rice

    John Ortt Guest

    I agree with Joseph.

    You won't do better than the kit lens for the money.

    Lenses which offer a very large range are usually expensive and compromised.

    On the other hand you can get excellent lenses for peanuts (comparitively)
    if you can live with a fixed focal length.

    Have you thought of keeping the kit lens and getting an old 70-200 f4 to
    complement it ?

    John Ortt, Jul 6, 2006
  5. Tony Rice

    tomm42 Guest

    Look for a 2nd hand 70-200 f4, try KEH a very good company that sells
    2nd hand camera gear www.keh.com. That is an excellent lens, that will
    with your kit lens cover 99% of your shots. Don't go buy a long range
    zoom (18-200), no matter how tempting they seem, most are garbage. If
    you can't swing it right now, the 70-200 Canon is worth saving for.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 6, 2006
  6. Tony Rice

    Verne Arase Guest

    Closest you're going to come in that price range is the kit lens - the EF
    17-85 IS is closer to $500 IIRC and it's my choice for a walk-around, but
    even it's short when you want reach (about a 135mm full-frame equivalent).

    Verne Arase, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Tony Rice

    Dan Birchall Guest

    Since everyone else has already basically said you can't get what you want
    for what you want to spend, I'd suggest possibly getting two cheap lenses:

    1) EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III, $110ish mail-order
    2) EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime, $80ish mail-order

    The short zoom will give you a little bit of length, and a bit toward
    the wider end as well, while the 50mm prime is a great starter lens for
    situations where you've got variable lighting, portraits, etc. I had
    the older 28-80mm f/3-5.6 from my Elan 7; the 50mm was the first lens
    I bought after getting my Rebel XT.

    (I've since added the 28mm and 85mm f/1.8 USM primes and the 70-300
    f/4-5.6 IS USM zoom, but anyway. ;)

    Dan Birchall, Jul 8, 2006