    international purchases. My budget is around £250.

    Any help is greatly appreaciated.

    David

    David Barkham, Jan 3, 2006

  2. David Barkham

    Berenger Guest

    If you don't want to stretch to the 18-200VR why not try the
    Sigma 18-200 or the Tamron 18-200. These are both only a tad over your
    £250 budget and if you are willing to go second hand there may soon be
    a number on Ebay at reasonable prices as some people (me included)
    upgrade the Sigmas and Tamrons for the Nikon on account of the VR.

    VR is the reason I am getting the Nikon as I have bad arthritis in my
    shoulders and wrists and the VR will help with getting steady shots
    when I can't use a tripod.

    Amateur Photographer (UK) had a review of these lenses a while back. I
    hink I still have a scanned copy of it somewhere. contact me at
    if you want me to email you a copy (Remove
    the 4 'y's in the email address to reach me.

    Berenger, Jan 3, 2006

  3. David Barkham

    bmoag Guest

    At the risk of being slammed for not recommending the best possible glass I
    suggest you would get more use and enjoyment out of the 18-200 lens. You may
    want to look into the Sigma or Tamron as they will likely be less costly
    than the Nikon version and of equivalent quality. I would strongly recommend
    avoiding the Nikon 55-200.
    Although the long end of the zoom is what attracts many buyers in reality it
    is the wide end of the zoom that gets the most use. At 24mm you only have
    middling wide-angle coverage and you will see a significant difference if
    you get a lens that zooms out to 18mm focal length.

    bmoag, Jan 3, 2006