    Any recomendations of a camera in this price range that can stop motion
    would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Russ

    Russ Rothschild, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Russ Rothschild

    Frank ess Guest

    "Russ Rothschild" <> wrote in message
    news:AbYqb.539$...
    > I am interested in a 4 or 5 mp camera that has a fast enough shutter to

    stop
    > motion.
    > Looking at the specs of the Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom Digital it looks

    like
    > it may do this.
    >
    > Any recomendations of a camera in this price range that can stop motion
    > would be appreciated.

    You will eventually receive better answers than this one, but in order for
    them to be of any value to you, be ready to consider:

    Motion is relative; are you photographing soccer players, or racing cars, or
    rifle bullets?

    Motion is relative; if it is principally across the axis of your lens, a
    faster shutter speed is required, as opposed to approaching or receding
    near-parallel to the lens axis.

    Daylight or dark; adaptability for strobe flash for use at any distance
    greater than a few feet may be important.

    Frank ess, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Just about ANY 4-5 MP Camera has a shutter speed fast enough to stop any kind of
    sports motion, golf swing, slam dunk, stealing home plate, catching the goalie
    in mid air ... etc.
    The C-750 has a top shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. which is plenty fast but not
    exceptional. The Canon S45, for instance has a top shutter speed of 1/1500 and
    the Nikon CP 4500 has a top shutter speed of 1/2300.
    The catch is that you must have enough light and the camera must have a high
    enough ISO Speed to provide proper exposure at these very high shutter speeds.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Russ Rothschild

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Russ Rothschild wrote:
    > I am interested in a 4 or 5 mp camera that has a fast enough shutter to stop
    > motion.
    > Looking at the specs of the Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom Digital it looks like
    > it may do this.
    >
    > Any recomendations of a camera in this price range that can stop motion
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Russ

    Russ,
    Many of the better cameras have shutter speed ratings of 1/2000 or
    faster, which should stop normal sports motion, but I think if you want
    to photograph bullets, or something like that, you may need to stick to
    film cameras. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Russ Rothschild

    Bill Guest

    Fuji Finepix S7000 has the fastest shutter speed in the class; as fast as
    1/10,000 sec in manual exposure mode. It also has ISO up to 1600. Of course
    all conditions must be right to use this effectively. It has a hot shoe so
    lighting options exist, and also one of the closest macro modes (as close as
    1cm / 0.4 in.) if that will be a requirement.
    Bill

    Bill, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Russ Rothschild

    daniel Guest

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:05:20 GMT, "Russ Rothschild" <>
    wrote:

    >I am interested in a 4 or 5 mp camera that has a fast enough shutter to stop
    >motion.
    >Looking at the specs of the Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom Digital it looks like
    >it may do this.
    >
    >Any recomendations of a camera in this price range that can stop motion
    >would be appreciated.

    I have used a Canon Powershot S30 to take many fast-moving shots. I
    mean really fast, like 70+ m.p.h. on the highway. The camera has a
    fast speed setting which works great. I am sure the S45 and S50 can
    do the same.

    Check out the Rt. 40, Saturn V, and cotton field photos at
    http://infrablue.tripod.com/photos Those were all taken while going
    at least 70 m.p.h. Also, the camera has a fast startup and shooting
    time which is critical when doing these types of shots.

    daniel, Nov 11, 2003