    I want to purchase a server but would like recommendations from users.

    Thanks,
    Wendell

    Wendell, May 22, 2004

  2. Wendell

    Unk Guest

    Any firewall (including the one in a router) blocks ports 20 and 21.
    You need to open those ports to run an FTP server.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256bd0007f94d0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    Your shorter link: http://tinyurl.com/2c894

    Unk, May 22, 2004

  3. Wendell

    why? Guest

    Sounds like you may have the same problem no matter what server trial
    you use. Start off with the WarFTPD from jgaa, it's freeware and won't
    expire.
    I would buy BPFTP Server, in fact that's what I did.

    Others I liked and tried before that were,
    http://www.wftpd.com/

    http://www.jgaa.com/ , free and recommended by posters in anime groups.
    Used this for a couple of years.

    http://www.arcanesoft.com/ , liked this one. Don't remember why I didn't
    buy it.

    List of servers, http://www.serverwatch.com/
    and another
    http://www.tucows.com/ftpserver95_default.html

    I may have missed some off that list, or you can see other posts for the
    same info by searching
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Results 1 - 10 of about 128 English messages for
    ftp server
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    author:why?
    (0.70 seconds)

    Me

    why?, May 22, 2004
  4. Wendell

    Wendell Guest

    Wendell, May 22, 2004
  5. Wendell

    Wendell Guest

    Thanks, BPFTP seemed ok with a decent inteface , I was looking for input
    on servers which you provided.
    I figured it was with the firewall. I just didn't get to it in time.
    I guess I'll but it as it is only $35 or so. I can always switch.

    Thanks again,
    Wendell

    Wendell, May 22, 2004
  6. Wendell

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, May 22, 2004
  7. Wendell

    Richard Guest

    Really? Zonealarm doesn't.
    I use ftp constantly with ZA running at the same time.

    Richard, May 22, 2004
  8. Wendell

    Wendell Guest

    I have a copy of zone alarm and it didn't work for me. I use Norton
    internet pro and it does all of the blocking unless you tell it not to.
    I like that.

    Wendell

    Wendell, May 22, 2004
  9. Wendell

    DE Guest

    I'm not sure from the way your posting is worded, but are you positive
    your ISP will let you run an FTP *server* accessible from the internet?
    That usually requires a business-level account.

    DE, May 23, 2004
  10. Wendell

    Wendell Guest

    Sorry for the confusion, it is not my isp, it is the company hosting a
    web site that does not allow for ftp transfers other than from the
    registered user.
    As to your question about the isp not allowing it, I've done it.
    I have set up an ftp server on a local machine for large file transfers.
    Since the above post I have registered (bought) BPFTP and found the
    settings in Norton to allow ports 20 and 21. I will have to wait until
    Monday to try it out.

    Wendell

    Wendell, May 23, 2004
  11. Wendell

    Stilcho Guest

    I haven't had to use my ftp client for awhile, I seem to remember
    having to check an option on it for passive transfers for it to work
    for me.

    Stilcho, May 24, 2004