Recomend a simple Backup Utility please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 27, 2004

  2. As header, I just want something simple to do my backups.

    This is what i want to do:
    1: Do an initial back up of one 22Gig folder ful of subfolders and files
    from my C drive to my external HD.

    2: Then on subsequent backups it will check for any file/folder changes
    between the C drive and and the external destination drive and just back up
    new or changed files.

    3: Be able to check the backed up data against the original C drive to
    see if any files/folders have been deleted from it so that i can also delete
    them from the back up.

    Thats it, thats all i want to do, just the basics. I tried out Fileback 4
    but it just gave me a headache, so many options and choices i didnt know
    what was happening.
    Just something simple and reliable is all i need

    Cheers'n'Beers

    Dr Hackenbush, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Parts 1 and 2 can be done with "xcopy" (built into windows) and a little
    creative command line scripting. Type "xcopy /?" from the command line to
    get the options.

    For part 3, look into a little (free) utility called "robocopy". It's also
    command line but has lots of tools to duplicate directory trees. (Note you
    could just delete the backup before beginning, or use two backups on
    alternating days that each deletes the other.)

    Sparky Polastri, Jul 27, 2004
  4. °Mike°

    Tech Guest

    Google for "rsync". This is a tremendously versatile backup utility;
    originally designed for Linux, I believe they have windoze and Mac versions
    also.

    Tech, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Thanx guys

    Dr Hackenbush, Jul 27, 2004
  6. °Mike°

    JamesBenson Guest

    As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
    stood next to them

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004