    to a week ago. I think it might be something to do with the symantec email
    scanner as the little magnifying glass icon isnt coming up. Have you got any
    ideas what could be wrong?

    Emma Burton, Mar 4, 2008

  2. Emma Burton

    Evan Platt Guest

    What changed since then?
    That could be.
    What little magnifying glass icon?
    Not a clue. Start by googling whatever error message you get.

    Evan Platt, Mar 4, 2008

  3. Symantec.

    You do not need to scan Incoming and Outgoing mail.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips-sub.html#avscan

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2008
  4. Emma Burton

    VanguardLH Guest

    Not until you provide a copy of the error message in whatever UNNAMED
    e-mail client you use. Don't describe the error. Don't summarize the
    error. Copy-n-paste it or transcribe it verbatim (but munge out your
    username albeit too late since you divulged it in your post).

    Read:
    http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Details that are important:
    - WHAT e-mail client you are using?
    - WHICH version of that e-mail client?
    - WHICH version of Windows XP (which, I assume, was what you meant by
    "xp computer" unless that was some brand or model).
    - WHAT is the error message?
    - Symantec is a company, not a product name. Identify WHAT Symantec
    product you are using.

    Since e-mail scanning is superfluous, what happens when you disable it
    in whatever UNNAMED Symantec product you are using? If Symantec is
    still using a transparent proxy through which all e-mail traffic gets
    routed even when you disable e-mail scanning (their proxy just doesn't
    do the interrogating), it is possible their proxy went dead. That
    means no e-mail traffic will get through it. Have you tried
    rebooting? Have you tried uninstalling the e-mail scanner module in
    the unnamed product? Disabling may not be sufficient and you have to
    entirely get rid of their proxy. You might have to uninstall and then
    do a custom install to not include their e-mail scanner.

    VanguardLH, Mar 4, 2008
  5. Emma Burton

    ded Guest

    Dear Emma
    As you have OE configured and your ISP is a rebadged virginmedia service,
    those entries listed below your folders, the first being
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    well you have made the common mistake of thinking that it is associated
    with your ISP, it isn't, it is part of a deviant sub society known as
    usenet.
    This a newsgroup populated by an assortment of maniacs and serial killers
    though there will be many who will able to help you if you supply more info
    on your problem, but this isn't your ISP or email server.

    ded, Mar 4, 2008
  6. Emma Burton

    VanguardLH Guest

    Since you are here (Usenet) then you, too, are amongst the community
    of maniacs and serial killers. Tis like saying "Everyone here is an
    idiot" which then also includes you.
    ;->

    VanguardLH, Mar 4, 2008
  7. Emma Burton

    ded Guest

    Indeed.....

    ded, Mar 4, 2008
  8. What about porn junkies? Are they lumped in with the maniacs?

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    It's not for you or I, Carruthers; nor for the regiment: it's
    for the Empire.

    Christopher Jahn, Mar 4, 2008
  9. Emma Burton

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Just a guess but based on your subject, have you mis-spelt your
    username/password.

    P.S. Don't bother to give us techies any error messages or details of
    the problem, it just gets in the way and any way, we can see all error
    messages on all PCs on the planet as well as remember everybody's
    passwords. ;-)

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 5, 2008