    improve battery performance for each of these three types of
    rechargeable batteries..."

    http://easyurl.net/BatteryGuide

    Ted, Jun 13, 2008

  2. Ted

    Archibald Guest

    He says, "The main disadvantage to Li-Ion batteries is that they lose
    about 10% of their useable capacity each year due to chemical
    breakdown within the cells. There is nothing that can be done to
    prevent this condition."

    That last part is incorrect. The battery will last longer if it is
    kept cool and if it is stored about 50% charged.

    Archibald

    Archibald, Jun 13, 2008

  3. Ted

    Dev/Null Guest

    I didn't know RichA wrote battery guides too...

    Dev/Null, Jun 13, 2008
  4. Ted

    Ray Guest

    More info about Li-ion batteries than most people will want to know:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

    Ray, Jun 13, 2008
  5. But extremely useful for those of us who keep two camera batteries in
    use so as to have a spare for big photographic expeditions, and keep
    them both in good nick by keeping one in the fridge and the other in
    the camera for a few months at a time, and then exchanging them.

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 14, 2008
  6. Ted

    Archibald Guest

    Sure, if that's how you use your batteries. But if you STORE a Li-ion,
    keep it cool and partly charged.

    Many of us use laptops for managing our pix when on trips. Remove the
    battery when you can plug the laptop in... keeps the battery from
    warming up, and it will last longer.

    Archibald

    Archibald, Jun 14, 2008
  7. Ted

    SMS Guest

    This is true. Still, after three years of use, if it hasn't stored in a
    cool place, it's probably time to replace it. NiMH batteries are a
    little better as they'll last five years before the capacity is reduced
    to the level that they need to be replaced, but it's more due to the
    number of cycles than to age. In hybrid cars they cheat by never fully
    discharging, nor never fully charging, the NiMH batteries in order to
    have enough capacity for the batteries never to qualify as "bad."

    For the best information on this subject, type "nimh vs li-ion" into the
    Google search box, then click on "I'm Feeling Lucky." It's an amazingly
    good source of information on the subject of which battery type is
    better for digital cameras. Wow, the guy that wrote that site must be
    really smart for it to have become the top Google hit. I wonder who it
    could be?

    SMS, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Ted

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Since all digital cameras use one type or the other, this is obviously a
    subject of some interest.

    The thing that surprises me is even though I have subscribed to this
    group for over three years the topic is hardly mentioned!!! - what a shame.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 6, 2008