Rechargeable AA Batteries for Sony DSC-P50

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. I just purchased a 2.1 megapixel Sony DSC-P50 point & shoot for everyday
    crap. It uses 2 AA batteries or an optional Sony device, NP-FS11.

    Here is a link to the camera (imaging-resource review):

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P50/P50P.HTM

    As you probably know, given that it uses 2 AA batteries it goes through them
    very quickly. I took about 20 shots with it--maybe 1/2 of them flash--and
    now it's done. Wow.

    So now I'm looking into rechargeable options.

    The Sony NP-FS11 is very high; I looked on eBay for similar
    items--"equivalents"--and you're talking about $45 for one battery & a
    charger. Good god!

    I found this at Radio Shack which has four 1800mAh NiMH AA batteries & a
    quick charger for $30. Catalog # 23-043

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=23-043

    (the # is part of the link)

    Is this the way you guys would go? Any other cheaper & just as good options
    (or am I being a tight-wad)?

    Or have any of you owned this camera before with the Sony NP-FS11 and found
    it to be so superior you'd do that instead? Personally, I'm inclined towards
    the AA option not just because it's cheaper (and would include a backup set)
    but also because it is not propreitary.

    Tips?

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Charlie Self Guest

    Larry Harrison asks:
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

    check out the 2300 mAh NiMHs.

    The Ansmann charger is a bit pricey, but is about as good as it gets and is a
    one-time purchase. Four of the 2300 mAh batteries should do all you need for
    years to come.

    Charlie Self
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or
    not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

    Charlie Self, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Tim Smith Guest

    Radio Shack seems a little bit behind on NiMH AA batteries. It's not hard
    to find ones with 2000-2200 mAh. (A couple years ago, when I switched all
    my battery-powered devices except the smoke alarms over the NiMH, 1200 mAh
    was the norm).

    The chargers have also been improving. My two year old charger takes about
    8 hours to charge a pair of 1200 mAH batteries(the batteries have to be
    charged in pairs). The charger I bought about a month ago does 1-4 2000 mAH
    batteries in an hour. Now I see that model has been replaced by one that
    does it in 30 minutes:

    <URL:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069297111512&skuId
    =5835894&type=product>

    There are also special NiMH batteries that can be charged in 15 minutes in
    appropriate chargers. They say "I-C3".

    NiMH batteries are no longer the speciality item they were a few years ago.
    They and their chargers are widely available at places like Best Buy,
    Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart, etc., so I'd suggest looking around at a few
    local places.

    Tim Smith, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Those look nice. Wal mart sells a very entry-level device that includes 2
    I-C3 (looks like AA sized) batteries and a charger for $28

    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...roduct_id=2360961&path=0:3944:3945:57907:4402

    Do those last as long as regular NiMH batteries that take 1-2 hours to
    charge? By "last as long" I don't mean number of rechargers (though if you
    know that you can share). I mean how long before you have to recharge it.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Tim Smith Guest

    They should. The number you want to look at for a battery is the mAh
    rating. I believe those batteries are 2000 mAh. "mAh" means "milliamp
    hours" and is a measure of the total energy the battery can deliver. A 2000
    mAh battery could theoretically power a device that needs 1 milliamp for
    2000 hours, or a 2000 milliamp device for 1 hour, or a 500 milliamp device
    for 4 hours, and so on. (Batteries have other limits, such as maximum
    current, so not all of these combinations are possible--it would not work to
    try to power a 7200 amp device for 1 second!).

    The Rayovac I-C3 batteries are NiMH, just like the other common
    rechargables, so should work basically the same. The only real difference
    is that they can be charged in 15 minutes in an I-C3 charger. The reason
    for this is that they put some circuitry in the battery itself to control
    the charging.

    I read a review somewhere on the net when these things first came out that
    said that the I-C3 batteries get *VERY* hot while charging. I don't know
    how sensitive to heat digital cameras are--does anyone know if it would be a
    bad idea to put a very hot battery or two into a camera?

    I haven't tried the I-C3 system yet, because I've found my current 1 hour
    system is fast enough. It does up to 4 at a time, and cranks out charged
    batteries faster than anything I have consumes them, so there has been no
    need for something faster.

    Tim Smith, Jul 10, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    y_p_w Guest

    I know you were just putting out numbers, but at 1-4 hours there would
    probably be a substantial loss of energy to internal resistance. At
    2000 hours, there would inevitably be a loss to self-discharge.
    In a practical sense, a high-drain device (i.e. digital camera) will
    render a battery useless when it still has substantial usuable capacity
    for a lower drain device.

    y_p_w, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    y_p_w Guest

    Actually - the batteries are fine. I just picked up two packs of
    Energizer 2300 mAh batteries for $9.99 each (in 4-packs) at Target.
    I think they may be found at Wal-Mart at about the same price.
    These appear to be the same Japanese-made batteries (marked "HR"
    on the negative terminal) that I've seen sold under several brand
    names. I've seen them rebranded as Sony, GE/Sanyo, Maxell, Olympus,
    or Kodak.

    However - the chargers I've seen at the mass merchandise stores
    aren't in the same class as the Maha or Ansmann chargers you can
    find at Thomas-Distributing. The ones at Wal-Mart are either
    the dumb timed chargers or the super-fast smart chargers. They
    won't have anything like the Maha MH-C401FS slow/fast charger I
    use.

    y_p_w, Jul 13, 2004