    advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?

    Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
    batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

    john hamiliton, Jun 14, 2010

  2. john hamiliton

    Guest Guest

    Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
    requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
    better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
    NiMH last time I looked.

    Guest, Jun 14, 2010

  3. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
    brand AAs and AAAs for around £4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
    selling lower capacity rechargeables.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 14, 2010
  4. john hamiliton

    John Guest

    I am delighted with my Sanyo eneloop batteries - I also have some 7 Day Shop
    versions - as yet untried. Ideal for camera where it may go unused for
    periods of time.

    John, Jun 14, 2010
  5. john hamiliton

    CD Guest

    Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around £2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
    have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
    various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
    for continued listening.

    CD, Jun 14, 2010
  6. john hamiliton

    newshound Guest

    The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
    expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
    better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
    them.

    newshound, Jun 14, 2010
  7. john hamiliton

    OG Guest

    Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
    slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in voltage
    that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a 850mAh
    hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at least
    that's what I've found with my digital camera.

    As for where to buy them; Amazon has good prices (4x AAA uniross hybrio for
    <£4 and free P&P )

    OG, Jun 14, 2010
  8. john hamiliton

    Steve Terry Guest

    For the money Lidl's Tronic brand NiMh cells are great, only problem
    is it's anyone's guess when they are in stock.
    My local lidl's have been out of stock of them for the last 6 months

    Lots of hi capacity AAA on eBay such as:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-AAA-1800mAH...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item3a5973124c

    £3.28 for 8

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Jun 14, 2010
  9. john hamiliton

    Mark Ingle Guest

    I don't know whether the Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the same as all
    other hybrid batteries, but I find them so much better than standard
    NiMH batteries; though as you have pointed out, the rated capacities are
    similar. The USP is that they hold their charge, but in my experience
    they seem to be better at holding their full charge even after months of
    charge/discharges. These cost about 7 pounds for four AAAs from amazon,
    but IMO well worth the price premium.

    Mark Ingle, Jun 15, 2010
  10. "Hybrid" appears to be a marketing term for some brands of low
    self-discharge (amusingly abbreviated to "LSD") NIMH batteries.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery
    and note some of the brand names.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Jun 15, 2010
  11. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    That's what I was about to suggest. These chargers prevent over- and
    under-charging by sensing the voltage of each cell while they are being
    charged.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 15, 2010
  12. john hamiliton

    Mr. Benn Guest

    Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
    self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio that's not
    used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.

    Mr. Benn, Jun 15, 2010
  13. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
    from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
    it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
    last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
    will keep going for some time on FM.

    Ian Jackson, Jun 15, 2010
  14. I have one that takes C size cells and it just doesn't work with
    rechargable. I tried with some old nicads. It works if I put an extra
    two into the circuit.

    I have a couple of Roberts dab radios that have a switch to select battery
    type. These seem OK.

    Alan

    Alan Clifford, Jun 15, 2010
  15. john hamiliton

    OG Guest

    Ahem; it is also a characteristic that the voltage is higher for longer
    during discharge, so they trigger the 'low battery' warning later than
    standard NiMH cells.

    OG, Jun 15, 2010
  16. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Noted. Thanks.
    Of course, in most sets, you can't simply add a couple more batteries.

    Ian Jackson, Jun 15, 2010
  17. john hamiliton

    Steve Terry Guest

    It depends on the battery case layout.
    e.g. a series pair of AA can be substituted with 3 x 2/3rd AA

    and C cells can be had in 2/3 3/5, etc. sizes

    http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Jun 15, 2010
  18. That's going to be expensive on non-rechargeables! The end point
    voltage for alkalines is about 0.9 volts, and they spend quite a lot of
    their life below 1.2.

    David Woolley, Jun 16, 2010
  19. john hamiliton

    Ian Jackson Guest

    I know that 'shortened' battery sizes exist, but I've never used them
    myself. As they are non-standard, they are not so readily-available, and
    (although I haven't checked yet), guess that they are more expensive.

    Ian Jackson, Jun 16, 2010
  20. My solution was rather more heath-Robinson than that. Your information
    about battery sizes stored away for future reference though.

    We keep that radio plugged into the mains in the kitchen and pretend it
    isn't a portable because it isn't really.

    Alan

    Alan Clifford, Jun 16, 2010