Reception Differences from machine to machine.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Vince, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Hello:

    I work for a place that has outside wireless system. This is commercial
    class. There are many trees so we have a very hard time transmitting the
    signal due to all of the interference of the trees.

    However I would like to explain to the users why one machine can pick up the
    signal and another can not.

    I have actually test in one senerio where a wireless network was put in one
    laptop and it got a great signal and then the same card was used in a
    different laptop with the same os but could not pick up a signal with the
    card.

    It seems strange to me that the same card in different machines had
    different results. This was a standard pc card. I would appreciate if anyone
    could explain this and also why some computers with standard cards do better
    than others.

    I have been recommending that all users install a highgain usb wireless
    card.

    Thanks

    Vince, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Vince

    Pavel A. Guest

    Yes, this is one of the biggest problems with wireless. The signal
    depends on lot of things and can be affected by lot of yet other
    things. This can be investigated with professional tools, but
    to keep the hardware cheap, vendors put only very basic diagnostic
    capabilities on the device.
    May be you will have more luck with other card, or their tech support may
    be more helpful... it's hard to tell :(

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 1, 2006

  3. Vince

    ato_zee Guest

    Cards are often screened by the case, I have to use and position a USB wireless
    adapter (D-Link one useless, kept dropping the connection, ZyDAS based
    USB adapter solid connection).

    Different makes, and models, of cards and adapters vary in sensitivity
    (even from the same maker) the problem being compounded by
    sensitivity to location and the signal strength at that location, which
    can vary widely over only a few inches. If you are picking up a
    reflected signal, not line of sight one, the problem is compounded
    by multi-path propagation.

    ato_zee, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Vince

    Vince Guest

    Thanks for the replys. Atleast now I can feel comfortable in my explanation
    of the issues because you have confirmed my experiences.

    I have found that the usb cards do perform much better than the pc cards. I
    also know that the higain cards do work from some users experience.

    Also due to the fact that we have many many trees line of site is virtually
    impossible and we do have bouncing signals. We also have one other factor.
    We have many RV's and Moter Homes in and out of the property and each one of
    them I am sure changes the system constantly.

    So thanks again and I will just keep on explaining as I have about the
    issues and if a user is unhappy I will just tell them to get a higain card
    and if they don't they should not complain to me.

    Vince

    Vince, Sep 2, 2006
  5. Vince

    ato_zee Guest

    I've greatly improved performance in a multi-path non line of
    sight situation by putting the USB wireless adapter in a large
    thin walled plastic flowerpot, half coated on the outside with aluminum
    kitchen foil, held in place with rubber bands, to act as a
    reflector and add directional properties. Multi-path reflections
    coming from extreme angles are attenuated.
    Went from 12% to GT 20% signal srength, and 20% to GT
    40% signal quality, now works fine.
    There are other resources describing improvised reflectors
    for USB adapters.
    For scattered sites with AC distribution from a central
    point many have reported success with AC mains
    ethernet adapters as an alternative to wireless adapters.

    ato_zee, Sep 2, 2006