    login screen.

    Anybody have any clues about this one??

    Thanks

    Carol Steele, Apr 6, 2008

  2. Carol Steele

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you turned off automatically restart in system properties. That would
    be a good place to start as you would probably see your message and be able
    to research it. System Properties/Advanced/Startup ...

    John Barnes, Apr 6, 2008

  3. Carol Steele

    Carol Steele Guest

    Thanks for coming back to me on this one John.

    By disabling the automatic restart, the error message now sticks on the
    screen and it is:-
    Multiple_IRP_Complete_Requests with the STOP values of:-
    0x00000044, 0xFFFFFA800A8D741, 0x00000000000007A, 0x0000000000000000 i.e
    0x(6x0's)44, 0xFFFFFA800A8D741, 0x(13 0's)7A, 0x(16 0's)

    A Google search gave various references for the error message, and probably
    this is the most pertinent

    Windows Driver Kit: Driver Development Tools
    Bug Check 0x44: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

    The MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS bug check has a value of 0x00000044. This
    indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is
    already complete.
    Parameters

    The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.
    Parameter Description
    1 The address of the IRP
    2 Reserved
    3 Reserved
    4 Reserved

    Cause

    A driver has called IoCompleteRequest to ask that an IRP be completed, but
    the packet has already been completed.
    Resolving the Problem

    This is a tough bug to find because the simplest case — a driver that
    attempted to complete its own packet twice — is usually not the source of the
    problem. More likely, two separate drivers each believe that they own the
    packet, and each has attempted to complete it. The first request succeeds,
    and the second fails, resulting in this bug check.

    Tracking down which drivers in the system caused the error is difficult,
    because the trail of the first driver has been covered by the second.
    However, the driver stack for the current request can be found by examining
    the device object fields in each of the stack locations.

    Carol Steele, Apr 6, 2008
  4. Carol Steele

    Carol Steele Guest

    OK - got extremely lucky with this one. I remembered that I installed a
    device driver for my Intel chipped modem - they didn't have a Vista x64 bit
    one so I tried the XP x64 bit one and everything seemed to be OK. Spent the
    rest of the day re-installing tons of software and then MS Update decided to
    upgrade me to SP1.

    Anyhow, removing the driver and disabling the modem seems to have fixed the
    problem - but alas, no modem for answering the telephone when I'm away from
    the computer now - but I guess I can learn to live without it.

    But thanks for pointing me to the right place where I could find the
    solution to the problem.

    Carol Steele, Apr 6, 2008
  5. Carol Steele

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carol:
    This may not help but I have a USR5610B modem that was of the first
    to have x64 drivers and Vista drivers out of the box since early beta
    builds. Currently I only use it for faxing documents because I'm too cheap
    to by a fax machine for sending a fax to the insurance company twice a
    month. Agere, Conexant and Lucent list Vista x64 drivers out of the box and
    usually these modems are cost efficient. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Apr 6, 2008
  6. Carol Steele

    Carol Steele Guest

    Thanks Dennis - I'll investigate them. All I need is the answerphone
    capabilities.

    Carol Steele, Apr 6, 2008
  7. Carol Steele

    John Barnes Guest

    You're welcome, but you did all the leg work. Totally baffles me why they
    default to automatic restart.

    John Barnes, Apr 6, 2008
  8. Carol Steele

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carol:
    You're welcome.

    Dennis Pack, Apr 6, 2008
  9. Carol Steele

    Dennis Pack Guest

    John:
    You know that default settings are there just to be a PITA (pain in the
    a). Could you imagine the support calls that would be generated if the
    default wasn't to restart. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Apr 6, 2008
  10. Carol Steele

    John Barnes Guest

    Well, if the Vista group is an example, having no idea why your computer is
    having problems and crashing would result in at least a few more calls than
    having the problem displayed, where a few would look for answers themselves.
    It is a joy to have a poster like Carol who takes the post and solves the
    problem on her own.

    John Barnes, Apr 6, 2008