    windows xp pro (SP2).

    Any advice greatly appreciated :)

    Thanks

    *playaz*, Aug 21, 2005

  2. *playaz*

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Format and reinstall.

    --

    "Instead of trying to bash me you should try to learn from me and
    archive my posts so you can better help people in the future. If you don't
    understand something I post then ask me my email is valid."

    -
    -

    pcbutts1, Aug 21, 2005

  3. *playaz*

    Toolman Tim Guest

    RIght click on taskbar, select properties. Click on Start menu tab. Click on
    Customize. Click on Advanced tab. Click on "List my most recently opened
    documents".

    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2005
  4. *playaz*

    *playaz* Guest

    Tried the options on the taskbar etc.. this still makes no difference
    :(
    I really cant afford to reinstall windows, especially as I've started
    my new job and I need my PC for it. I just cannot see whats happened :(

    *playaz*, Aug 21, 2005
  5. *playaz*

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That's not a big enough problem to need a re-install. If you're memory isn't
    good enough to know what you've been working on, that's a different problem
    <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2005
  6. *playaz*

    Bigbri Guest

    That's not a big enough problem to need a re-install. If you're memory isn't
    good enough to know what you've been working on, that's a different problem

    Try this Right click desk top/Arrange icons/select show desk top icons

    Bigbri, Aug 21, 2005
  7. *playaz*

    Bigbri Guest

    That's not a big enough problem to need a re-install. If you're memory isn't
    good enough to know what you've been working on, that's a different problem

    Sorry half asleep select start//left
    click/properties/customise/advance/select what you require

    -
    Bigbri

    Bigbri, Aug 22, 2005
  8. *playaz*

    *playaz* Guest

    The above method doesnt work either - no error messages, or crashes
    etc.. just no recent documents list appearing.

    I cannot be 100% sure but i'm guessing some random piece of software
    has make some change to the registry which has affected my recent
    documents list, it is a fairly small problem and therefore I don't
    wanna reinstall windows xp from scratch.

    Does anyone know of a possible registry fix/hack that will 'force' the
    recent documents list to become visible again?

    ps my memory aint too bad, but i'd still like to have my recent docs
    list :)
    thanks in advance

    *playaz*, Aug 22, 2005
  9. *playaz*

    *playaz* Guest

    I've checked the directory "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Recent" and this shows empty :(

    So not only has windows xp prevented me from viewing my recent files
    from the start menu, it also seems to have disabled it as well.

    If anyone has anymore suggestions please fire ahead :) thanks

    *playaz*, Aug 22, 2005
  10. *playaz*

    Toolman Tim Guest

    AH! Another clue! Read this:

    http://worksmart.techwhack.com/18/disable-recent-documents-history/

    Please note - I *am* aware that the reference given is providing the
    opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve. But, if a "1" turns it
    off, a "0" turns it on. So, do what it says, reboot, and return there to
    change the setting. Reboot, and see if it works. (It might help, it might
    not. My system is working, so I can't effectively test this.)

    Toolman Tim, Aug 22, 2005
  11. *playaz*

    EPD Guest

    How about System Restore. You'll be able to at least find out if the
    software below has caused the issue.
    EDP

    EPD, Aug 24, 2005
  12. Try using the restore function