Rebooting problem (was Batteries)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Turner, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Bob" wrote

    LOL - it's a long story.

    The problem started about twelve months ago, when I was running W98SE. When
    cold the computer would occasionally not boot-up. Repeated turning on & off
    would generally get it to work. The could be after two or three attempts or
    maybe as many as a dozen.

    After this happened a few times I started leaving the pc in stand-by mode
    and had no further problems. It would re-boot reliably from stand-by and
    would restart too.

    After seeking advice I formatted the HDD and installed W2K. Initially there
    was no problem with booting from cold, but after a month or so the problem
    re-appeared, so I resorted to leaving in stand-by mode again.

    On New Year's Day we had a major power cut which lasted for around fifteen
    hours and I'd visions of not being able to reboot again. As it happened it
    booted first attempt and continued without problems for about a month before
    re-emerging again.

    Once again I resorted to leaving in stand-by mode, and again never had any
    re-booting problems even when restarting.

    About two months ago I started turning the pc off again at night, and it was
    fine for about a month, before getting one reboot problem.

    Since then the pc has again been left in stand-by mode overnight.

    I'd heard suggestions that the motherboard battery *might* have been an
    issue so I replaced it today. The pc is approaching 5 years old, is a Dell
    Dimension running a Pentium 3 at 500mghz. The motherboard battery has not
    been replaced previously.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004

  2. John Turner

    Bob Guest

    It's unlikely that replacing a motherboard battery will have a direct
    Hi John,

    This sounds like a power supply issue: either the PSU in your computer has a
    wattage that's too low to get the computer started up, or the actual power
    supply from the plug is poor. If it's the former, you should be able to get
    hold of a PSU with a higher wattage. Alternatively, if you have a number of
    devices plugged in, try unplugging them when you boot up and see if that
    solves the problem.

    Exactly what happens when the computer fails to boot? What happens, and at
    what stage does the computer stop/halt/fail? Then what happens - does it
    simply stop, or reboot, or shut down, or what?

    Bob, Aug 20, 2004

  3. John Turner

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:17:51 +0100, "John Turner"

    |>The problem started about twelve months ago, when I was running W98SE. When
    |>cold the computer would occasionally not boot-up. Repeated turning on & off
    |>would generally get it to work. The could be after two or three attempts or
    |>maybe as many as a dozen.

    Sounds like a hard drive spin-up problem.

    If the drive is S.M.A.R.T. capable download HDD Health
    http://www.panterasoft.com/index.html
    Install it and see what it has to report.

    Pennywise, Aug 20, 2004
  4. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Bob" wrote
    There's not much attached to the pc which is actually turned on at boot up,
    other than a TFT screen and an internal ADSL modem. I've a printer and a
    film scanner attached but they are usually switched off.
    Boot up commences normally through to the white screen with the W2K
    Professional - starting up. The progress box at the bottom shows the blue
    band getting to a mid-position and then stopping. It does not progress
    further.

    At this stage turning off and restarting, or sometimes pressing the reboot
    button is usually successful.

    The last time I had a reboot problem it stopped earlier in the process - at
    the stage where it lists the system details. It would not proceed at all,
    or reboot, until in desperation I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and it booted up.

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004
  5. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Pennywise" wrote
    It should be, the drive is only around two years old, so I'll give that a
    whirl.

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004
  6. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Pennywise" wrote
    Downloaded & installed, I can't see anything amiss.

    It's showing:-
    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004
  7. John Turner

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:16:09 +0100, "John Turner"

    |>"Pennywise" wrote
    |>
    |>> If the drive is S.M.A.R.T. capable download HDD Health
    |>> http://www.panterasoft.com/index.html
    |>> Install it and see what it has to report.
    |>
    |>Downloaded & installed, I can't see anything amiss.
    |>
    |>It's showing:-
    |>
    |>> There are no known problems with this hard drive.

    Boot-up to me ment starting the hard drive, your getting into windows
    that's way past a spin-up.

    a previous message from you:

    |> Boot up commences normally through to the white screen with the W2K
    |> Professional - starting up. The progress box at the bottom shows the blue
    |> band getting to a mid-position and then stopping. It does not progress
    |> further.

    This is a whole different matter. The band you refer to in WK2
    indicates drivers loading, one's hanging up.

    In this case I'd suggest editing your boot.ini.

    you will find something like:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Your OS" /fastdetect

    Add /SOS after /fastdetect (/fastdetect /SOS)

    /SOS - Displays the driver names while they are being loaded. Use this
    switch if Windows NT/WK2/XP won?t start up and you think a driver is
    missing. This option is configured by default on the [VGA] option on
    the boot menu.

    Watch it boot up one time it hangs up, and you should find your
    problem.

    No promises, but it's a start.

    Pennywise, Aug 20, 2004
  8. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Pennywise" wrote
    Best offer I've had so far thank you. I'll give it whirl.

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004