    Hi
    Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
    Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

    jazu, Dec 8, 2006

  2. jazu

    Bill Guest

    I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
    Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
    cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
    profits? You have to be prepared for that.

    As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
    D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
    quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
    manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
    plant.

    Bill, Dec 8, 2006

  3. jazu

    jazu Guest

    I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

    jazu, Dec 8, 2006
  4. jazu

    Bill Funk Guest

    It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
    and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
    IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
    cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.

    Bill Funk, Dec 8, 2006
  5. Would not surprise nor concern me. Canon QA goes off shore, along with the
    manufacturing. You can get a lemon from any production line.

    In any case, I'd bet the source of the components is much the same.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 8, 2006
  6. jazu

    jazu Guest

    I asked "where it was made."

    jazu, Dec 9, 2006
  7. jazu

    Roy G Guest

    Roy G, Dec 9, 2006
  8. jazu

    Bill Funk Guest

    Isn't there a sticker on the camera somewhere that says where it was
    made?
    ISTR that's a requirement if it's imported into the US.
    My 30D clearly says, "Made in Japan."

    Bill Funk, Dec 9, 2006
  9. jazu

    Rich Guest

    Though most would claim that with specific QC measures in place,
    quality can't vary by much, there have been anecdotal (though informed)
    opinions raised about some products like this to the effect that the
    Chinese made units are not as good. However, you'd have to get two of
    them side by side to really check them out. In the case of some optics
    whose production had shifted from Japan to Taiwan, there were
    differences in favour of the Japanese.

    Rich, Dec 9, 2006
  10. jazu

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Bill:

    Indeed, QC counts the most. My various Kodak digcams were made in either
    China or Japan, and there's no apparent difference in quality, between
    any of them.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 11, 2006