Reauthentication of Wireless User does not get prompt

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, May 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Sir,

    I set up a Radius server to authenticate wireless users via 802.1x. The EAP
    protocol deployed is Microsoft PEAP as most of the clients OS is XP. The
    users might be sharing the same laptops. When a user select the wireless
    network to connect to, he was prompted a window for him to enter the
    Username, Password and Domain field. After successful authentication, he was
    able to access the network resources.

    However, the user is not prompted the Username, Password and Domain after he
    has done so the first time. I understand that XP cached the user credentials
    in the registry. But my customer would like the window prompt to appear when
    the following scenario happens to reauthenticate

    a) Session timeout
    b) Idle timeout to reauthenticate the current wireless user as the user
    might leave his workspace for a short period of time and someone might have
    use his credential to access the network illegitimately
    c) When he shuts down the PC and the laptop is passed to another user but
    the previous user credential is used rather than the second user credentioal
    is used.

    How can I disable the automatic cached user credentials? Is there a way to
    prompt the user after a period of time for him to enter Username, Password
    and Domain field again? Is the option available in the XP client? I search
    through the AP configuration options but found none.

    Please advise. Thank you
    Delon

    Guest, May 23, 2006

  2. Guest

    Dave Mitton Guest

    Screen saver lock?
    I know what is happening. Windows caches the User information from a
    successfull EAP connection in the registry. And it WZC re-uses it when
    setting a new connection to the same SSID. KB823731 described this relative to
    PEAP, but it really applies to all EAP protocols. I couldn't find the article
    when I just looked.

    If you can work how to get a program to run for your events, what you want to do
    is find the key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\EAPOL\UserEapInfo\{deviceGUID}\n
    where n starts at 1. Find the key containing your user and delete it. Or just
    delete them all.

    Of course WZC caches the information in memory, so deleting the key isn't always
    sufficent.

    Dave.

    Dave Mitton, May 26, 2006