Reasons for Packet Drops

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by Anil A Kumar, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. Anil A Kumar

    Anil A Kumar Guest

    +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
    | A |---| B |---| C |---| D |
    +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
    A- Host
    B- Switch/Router
    C- Switch/Router
    D- Host

    1. I sent 10,000 frames from A->D, but I received 9,000 frames
    2. I sent same 10,000 frames from D->A, this time I received total 10,000 frames.

    Assume I haven't added any firewall/policy/ACL configured on any of interfaces.

    Now, I would like to know what could be possible reasons for that 1000 frames drop.

    Please let me know.

    Thanks in advance!

    Anil Kumar A

    Anil A Kumar, Oct 16, 2012

  2. Perhaps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_bucket
    or some other congestion management scheme?
    Is there any other network traffic?
    It depends on the routers...
    Or it is broken.

    Johann Klammer, Oct 16, 2012

  3. Anil A Kumar

    Anil A Kumar Guest

    Hi Johann,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I guess,

    1. Based on configurations on that path
    2. Congestion / Other traffic
    3. Transmission Rate[Egress/Ingress traffic rates different
    4. CRCs/Bad cables at the time of traffic sent

    Anil A Kumar, Jan 22, 2015