Reason # 1 for getting insurance on your camera equipment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary J Bevans, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. A couple weeks ago I had wished I had insurance as I was on a inflatable
    pontoon boat a nylon strap broke and you guessed it the pontoons rolled
    right causing the
    boat to roll over left nothing I could do I was in the water and my digital
    camera got wet and does not currently work. So in short either be real
    careful with your camera equipment and don't take it out to get great
    pictures on a Mountain lake in Montana.or get insurance.

    I probably won't get insurance my self as I will probably
    work on a better way to keep the camera dry. I personally hate giving my
    hard earned cash to others including the stores that want you to buy
    extended warrantees that usually look for ways so they don't have to pay
    anyway. I would personally not use homeowners insurance as if you get to
    many claims against it they may drop it or significantly rise the rates. It
    is real difficult trying to get insurance after a company has dropped you I
    know someone this happened to and it was pretty ugly for them they almost
    lost their house.

    Hoped this answered your question Good luck.

    Gary

    Gary J Bevans, Aug 16, 2003

  2. I don't think he was saying don't buy homeowner's insurance .
    What he was saying was, don't claim your camera damage under
    homeowner's insurance. Which makes sense in a way.
    The chances of damaging your camera, are much higher that something
    happening to your home.
    So why claim a camera under a policy which by its very nature doesn't
    expect people to file too many claims under it.
    I think he was suggesting to get a seperate insurance policy for the
    camera equipments alone.
    best regards
    bhaskar

    Bhaskar Karambelkar, Aug 17, 2003