Really stumped on router connected to time warner road runner internet

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Eugene, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    I have a been fighting extreme slowdown on my internet for the last couple
    months and am really stumped. I have a pair of 2500's the outside is a
    2516 running IOS 12.2 with e0 connected to the cable modem and IP DHCP on
    that interface. I then set a clock rate of 2000000 on s0 and connected it
    to s0 on the inside 2507 running 12.1 through a DCE/DTE serial cable. I
    was using them as a lab to study for the CCNP and got laid off and have
    been doing Windows support jobs for the last two years and these routers
    have been running fine in this config. Couple months ago road runners old
    dns servers quit responding so I plugged the cable modem in an old Win98
    box I pulled from a dumpster and got an IP from Road runner and wrote down
    the new DNS servers, swapped the cable into my router and walked down and
    plugged them in my pc's. Reload of router and let it get a new IP and my
    connection has been extremely slow ever since. I can ping an IP all day
    long with no problem but try to traceroute and it dies somewhere a few hops
    out. Trying to web browse results in dns timeouts and extremely slow page
    modem the speed is fine, no dns timeouts, no dead tracerouts. Reload/power
    cycle my routers try to do anything behind them, timeouts and slowdown. I
    haven't changed anything but afterward added the new dns servers into my
    outside router to see if I could resolve names from it fine. I left the
    old two dns serves in its config to see if they ever would start responding
    again. I'm not doing anything with dns on the routers, all the pc's behind
    them are pointing straight at road runners dns. The outside router has
    problems resolving hostnames also if I try to ping www.google.com for
    example all 4 dns servers fail. I'm really stumped as to why my routers
    and pc's behind them can't resolve dns and drop packets while a pc plugged
    into that modem works fine. Road runner being sneaky and looking for Cisco
    MAC addresses and toying with me?

    Eugene

    Eugene, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Eugene

    mh Guest

    try changing the MAC address on your outside router's Ethernet
    interface to be the same as the MAC address on the PC that you used
    during your testing

    int e0
    mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
    exit

    mh, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I plugged in the mac address and did a reload and it
    came back up this time with the IP of the pc but my connection is still
    slow. Maybe I have a broken router? I don't see any errors on a sho int
    anywhere, I just don't understand what happened.

    Eugene, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Eugene

    creacendo Guest

    I wanna do the same thing. Use my cisco 2507 router with time warne
    cable. I need help since i'm new to this, very new and have set up th
    cisco router as instructed in the book but have no clue how to make i
    work with cable provided by rode runner. Please anyone?

    -
    creacend

    creacendo, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    Look on cisco's site for the example NAT setup. I used that.

    Eugene, Apr 26, 2004