Really, Really Bummer HD Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil, Jan 29, 2008.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    About a month ago, I bought some memory for my Dell Dimension 8400. I
    even brought the packing slip along which came with the computer,
    showing what type of memory was installed at the factory.

    Some idiot at one of the electronic stores - after cross referencing it
    on a store computer, still sold me the wrong cards. My machine went
    bonkers after I installed the cards. I had nothing but blue screens
    everywhere. I couldn't get into Windows. I used the F2 key and changed
    a few things in the drive menu. Whatever I did, it allowed me the
    following screen, and with the F1 key, I finally got back into
    Windows. So, the following screen is what I see every time I boot up.

    Opening screen before Windows

    Drive 1 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
    Drive 2 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
    Drive 3 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
    Drive 5 Not Found: Parallel ATA, PATA A1, (Pri IDE Slave)

    Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run Setup Utility

    (Let me state here, I had ZERO problems of any kind before this
    happening.)
    I am running Windows XP Pro.

    I have 5 external drives along with my A: floppy and D: CD ROM.

    C: (Which came with the machine.)
    E: A Maxtor 275 Gig external.
    F: A Seagate Free Agent 250 Gig external
    J: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external
    M: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external

    (I have virtual volumes made with BestCrypt which have the drive letters
    G, H, I, K, and L attributed to them. That's why the listed HDs are not
    sequential in letters.)

    Despite what the F2 Setup says, all my disks are working perfectly.

    Previously, I had made my CD drive the first in line to boot. This was
    so I could use my Acronis True Image CD to recover from any Windows
    failure. However, Since this snafu by the store idiot, my CD will not
    boot the computer, even though I have it that way in the F2 setup
    screen. The screen does tell me that the CD ROM is in the #1 position
    to boot, but the comp doesn't work that way. It insists

    on booting from A:. This means if I have a catastrophic failure, my
    Acronis System Recovery CD is worthless. This was not true before this
    nonsense happened. I know that for a fact because I checked frequently
    by booting from the CD. I wanted to make sure everything was right just
    in case I had a Windows failure. I took it to one repair guy who
    wouldn't touch it because he said he had never seen such a thing
    before.

    Here is what I see when I use the F2 key:

    Setup Boot Sequence

    1 Onboard CD ROM
    2 Onboard Floppy
    3 SATA HD
    4 IDE HD ----- Not Present
    5 USB Device
    ---------------------------------------
    Drives

    Diskette
    Drive 0: SATA 0
    Drive 1: SATA - 1
    Drive 2: SATA - 3
    Drive 3: SATA - 3
    Drive 4: PATA - 0
    Drive 5: PATA - 1

    SATA OPERATION

    ===================
    Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

    Would it help if I replaced the C: drive with a new one, or is this a
    hardware problem which would carry over?

    I'm wondering if my motherboard is screwed up. I'd like to find a
    solution to this before my C: drive fails. It's quite a few years old by
    now. I'm also wondering if I should just stuff this box and get a new
    one - not that I'm delighted with having to spend a few grand for this
    solution.

    ??.

    Phil, Jan 29, 2008

  2. Phil

    G. Morgan Guest

    No.

    Did you remove the 'bad' memory you bought?

    G. Morgan, Jan 29, 2008

  3. Phil

    RobV Guest

    And go back to the store with the idiot and demand you get the proper
    memory and they fix whatever the problem is?

    RobV, Jan 29, 2008
  4. Phil

    balikitty Guest

    Ive had the blue screen before. Its just great!!! This happened to me
    when someone pulled out one of my drivers and i couldnt get on the net
    to contact them back!!! Anyway, the thing i finally did, was
    uninstall, and reinstall, and of course before that i tried any
    updates. But there where none to use. I would try updates if you can
    get to it. Windows updates is wha im referring to. If that doesnt
    work, try uninstalling, then reinstalling. Try going to control panel
    and click hardware, flail arount in there for awhile, for lack of
    better term, usually you can get to a spot where you can troubleshoot
    all your drives. One at time, of course, Since you know it is your c
    drive, at least you got that much info. When this happened to me , i
    couldnt get to internet even through safe mode. It took everything. I
    had thoughts of the file being corrupted, but that wasnt the case
    after all.Or, go back to the goofus who did this,, and see if he has
    any techs around that can help. B.T.W, I think they made the screens
    blue so it would at least have a calming effect on you when you saw
    them, over and over again. ha.

    balikitty, Jan 29, 2008
  5. Phil

    sandy58 Guest

    Hey, balikitty, did you ever sort your
    " How do I...? > FISH FISH FISH" problem?
    "can someone please help me with any info on moving fish gadgets!!
    Have
    4 on my desk- top page. Need to move 3 of them. Pulling my hair

    sandy58, Jan 29, 2008