Really need some help with wireless network!

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by Geo, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo

Heya, about a month or so ago, my family got cable, a Philips router and a Belkin Wireless USB adaptor, we had a little trouble setting it up, but after a while, it was okay. My signal strength was always good or very good, and I never disconnected and typically had no problems.

However, 2 weeks or so ago, my signal strength randomly just decides to stay at low all the time, and sometimes even very low. I haven't moved anything, and our router has not been moved either, or tampered with. The connection on our main computer is fine, always at excellent signal strength. I would say my bedroom is about 15 meters from the router, on the same floor... and yet for some reason, when I turn on my computer, it takes me a good 10 minutes to get connected, my computer has problems acquiring a network address. It is an encrypted network with a passphrase, which we all know. When it finally does connect, the signal is still low or very low. I don't understand why this is happening when nothing has changed. I have tried reinstalling the software for the Belkin USB adaptor, but nothing changes.

I would really love some advice or help as to what could be causing this problem, and possibly how I could fix it. =(

Thanks.

Geo.

Geo, Oct 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Geo

JimmyD

Hey Geo,

Not sure if this will help, but try powering down the router for a few seconds (pull the power plug) and then power back on. This will reboot/reset the router, and may fix the problem.

Have you moved any furiture around, especially between your computer and the router? Hung any mirrors/pictures etc. on the walls in between? It's a long shot, but maybe something has been relocated between the devices, causing the issue?

Not sure if that will offer any help, but there you have it, for what it's worth :)

Jimmy

JimmyD, Oct 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question