really need help with this one:WinME constantly pausing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MajBach1, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    Hi all! I have a fairly recent problem pop up but one that I cannot live
    with - nor seem to troubleshoot.
    I have a Celeron 466 clocked to 525 w/ 256 Ram and 32M V-Card, modem and
    Ethernet card. Also running ME, cordless MS mouse/keyboard and 80 Gig HDD
    partitioned to 3 drives ( c:\ = 8Gig)

    I realize this is a lengthy explanation but when I comb through other posts,
    the respondents always seem to need more details so here they are.

    First, not looking for any 'buy a new PC' or 'throw away ME' type of advice
    because that doesn't solve anything! Fact is, I am happy with ME and this PC
    is fast enough for what I need it for. I keep it fairly tuned - software
    wise, no misc programs at start-up nor PCHealth, system restore is off etc.
    I've been on plenty of friends' PCs running XP that are far slower than mine
    for booting up/powering down with CPUs of the most recent clockspeeds.

    Here's the problem:
    I recently moved and now have hi-speed DSL. It ran quite well at first [ a
    week ago ] but I am having major problems now; perhaps the problems were
    there but I never used the software that seems to make the problems appear.
    Most noticeably, whenever I am on the Net, particularly when watching
    streaming video or downloading via P2P, the mouse freezes up intermittently
    and momentarily. The problem gradually worsens. Videos seem to pause and
    the sound repeats itself - often for several seconds and then everything
    resumes only to happen again. The strange thing is, even when I shut the net
    off, the problem persists, but not as bad AND seemingly goes away with time
    but never completely. Like I stated, this wasn't evident at first so I didn'
    t draw a connection to using the Internet. It can get extremely bad when I
    do several searches on a P2P program at once. There is no HD activity when
    the pauses occur and the problem does not occur unless I have connected to
    the net. Again, if I disconnect, the problem persists but not as bad.

    I have also noticed one or more windows in IE freezing - well, the window
    opens but the page doesn't load nor do toolbars so I must 'End Task'.
    Frequent soft reboots are also required, leading to a scandisk. This is from
    one of two reasons: the mouse never 'unpauses' OR, during powerdown, I get a
    black screen and the cycle does not complete. In EITHER of these instances,
    'Ctrl-Alt-Del' does NOTHING except OCCASSIONALLY, I will hear the system
    internal speaker click rapidly whenever I move the mouse (beep on error?)

    I did scan for viruses yesterday and to my surprise there were over 6000!
    NONE of these activated during start-up however. These viruses were all
    located in 2 directories only and not associated with any program I use.
    They were all the same virus - as reported by Mcafee - same file size just a
    different name. In a nutshell, I do not feel this is at all related to the
    problem. I also DO NOT run the virus scanner or a firewall except on
    demand - which is rare.

    What have I done to troubleshoot? Trial and error to narrow down when this
    problem appears - as already explained. Have defragmented the drive, cleaned
    the registry (JV16 powertools), uninstalled and reinstalled a few programs,
    and spent a lot of time searching for others with similar problems. The
    latter I have found and the suspect often seems to be a network card ( which
    I have, obviously ). Another frequent suspect is the mouse/keyboard. Mine
    are both wireless. However, no clear solutions have been posted.

    Whats my next step?

    Thanks a heap for reading!

    MajBach

    MajBach1, Feb 3, 2005

  2. MajBach1

    WormWood Guest

    "I also DO NOT run the virus scanner or a firewall except on demand -
    which is rare." <<========= ????
    <FAINT>
    <PLOP>

    WormWood, Feb 3, 2005

  3. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    Thanks for the GREAT advice, wormy.

    MajBach1, Feb 4, 2005
  4. I'll just take up this part.

    SIX THOUSAND!

    You don't mention running any antispyware applications though you do
    mention p2p software. Most p2p apps install spyware.

    You aren't running a firewall? That's not good at all. You might as
    well wave your hd out the window and beg somebody to PLEASE come
    smash it with a hammer! Of course if your DSL modem has NAT, a
    firewall is much less necessary.

    You have system restore turned off so you can't roll the machine back
    to before the problem started.

    The mouse clicking indicates that windows has either crashed or is not
    accepting user input.

    I'd recommend some heavy duty scanning for spywares after allowing
    your AV to remove whatever viruses it finds if it can.

    This page will check your browser for some common parasites, give you
    a concise description of the problem and point you to three excellent
    antispyware programs. www.doxdesk.com/parasite

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org

    Governor Swill, Feb 4, 2005
  5. MajBach1

    MajBach1 Guest

    Thanks, Gov! I have been getting the same advice from others regarding
    firewalls etc. Guess having dial -up for years has made me naive I NEVER hat
    viruses or spyware. I have since started run both.
    I have someone on another NG walking me through a troubleshooting process as
    well.
    BTW, did a scan for spyware and had several registry entries but no
    applications installed.
    Randy

    MajBach1, Feb 4, 2005