    id. Those copies of Windows do not have to be activated because piracy is
    already being prevented by BIOS locking. If you got one you couldn't do
    anything with it because it wouldn't work on your computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2006

  2. Dennis Gordon

    Guest Guest

    Now I am more confused. This version works perfectly well, so we can
    eliminate the
    locked bios stuff unless they mail everyone HP/compaq Cds and hope for the
    best.

    I read the conditions for not activating on from www.microsoft.com. This
    version does not have any "activate windows" choice in the last column, as I
    am used to.

    I tried to force activation by searching the term at www.microsoft.com and
    following a link that came uo for activation. Instead I was shuttled to a
    page that offered to help me determine if my version of windows is legal.
    BTW, I work for a university that has invested 5000 in my 64 bit system, so I
    have no problem with an education license. This just doesn't see to be one.

    As posted previously, when MS posts all the released holograms for XP 64 bit
    similar to 32 bit. we can compare.

    My opinion is that MS would be happy to give away some copies if it would
    make this 64 bit transition easier. My guess is that this company is selling
    oem Cds that were meant to be put in machines but somehow never made it under
    the same "loophole" that prompts some companies to send a piece of hardware
    so the software fits under the hardware purchase clause, meant to mean major
    hardware as I read it. If called on it, I would bet they will claim the user
    should have realized if he was education or making a major hardware purchase
    to accompany the sale but there is no mention of any license conditions
    except what is on the CD.
    Windows: client Business; use subject ot volume license agreement.

    Guest, Jun 25, 2006

  3. Dennis Gordon

    ianf Guest

    hello

    in the u.k the cheapest copy i can find is £100 xp64 , i have 3
    daughters at uni so any type of license would be fine do royal or
    others ship to u.k

    ian

    ianf, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Dennis Gordon

    mikeyhsd Guest

    mikeyhsd, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Dennis Gordon

    Bioboffin Guest

    You can get it here (in the uk) for £89.50 + postage (from £2.50) (but don't
    forget that you need to buy some piece of hardware at the same time for OEM
    software).

    http://www.overclock.co.uk/home.php?cat=280

    Bioboffin, Aug 6, 2006