    The description of "CD Only" describes what I have but seems to conveniently
    leave off the "Not For Resale" clause.
    Something seems very fishy.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 3, 2006

  2. That's true, but there are those users (like me) who prefer X64 despite no
    discernible advantage. I dual boot with XP Pro, but use X64 exclusively, and
    put up with the less than stellar printer support and occasional irritation
    when I can't run a 16 bit program from the command prompt (which accounts
    for the 0.05% time spent rebooting to Pro). I just happen to like the OS,
    and have been pleasantly surprised by its stability and performance. At this
    point, being on the precipice of the next gen processors like Conroe, why
    not encourage more of the curious to take the plunge? OEM users do require a
    certain degree competence. More competent users out there means more
    pressure on vendors to find solutions. Okay, maybe that's naive. I suppose
    getting 6 more requests for a driver isn't going to speed up anyone's
    development...

    Dennis Gordon, Jun 3, 2006

  3. I've bought a couple of boards from Directron when I was still in the
    States. They were OK, and certainly legitimate, but I still find their web
    site annoying to use.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006

  4. The price is suspiciously low. I do know that Microsoft does sometimes
    actually hand out promotional copies of it products at trade shows,
    seminars, conventions, and such. Of course all of these are clearly
    labeled "Not For Resale or Distribution." I also can't help wondering
    if maybe "Promotional" doesn't actually mean "time-bombed evaluation
    license," in this case?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 3, 2006
  5. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally I like NewEgg's website best. Haven't used ncix, mainly as it is
    Canadian. While a number of foreign sites show purchases in US$, they
    charge the credit card in local currencies, and by the time they are
    converted by the credit card company at a less favourable exchange rate, and
    have the currency transaction surcharge added (usually 1-2%) it's no longer
    cometative with know local companies.

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2006
  6. NCIX has a US and a Canadian shipping point, so you should be fine ordering
    from them. For me, NewEgg is a problem since it has to cross the border.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  7. I consider the purchasing part clumsy and confusing, but aunt was able to
    purchase it though.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2006
  8. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    It's not the shipping point, but the currency they make the credit card
    charge in.

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2006
  9. Bruce;
    And in my experience at least, Microsoft time bombed evaluation software is
    always free as is promotional.
    If ordered on CD, there sometimes is a S+H cost.
    I sent an Email to the site asking for details, wonder if I hear back.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 3, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I bought my version from them. The "deal" is that it's academic.
    But...there is absolutely no difference between the academic and OEM
    versions. It's the same CD with a different label. Installs and runs the
    same. I'm happy with it. You could argue that you shouldn't be running it
    unless you're a student. My excuse is, I didn't know it was when I bought
    it. :)

    Even so, with the release of Vista just around the corner.....does it really
    matter if it's academic?

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jun 3, 2006
  11. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Doesn't say much for the honesty of the vendor, does it?

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2006

  12. No, it doesn't. Certainly not a company I'd trust with my credit card
    numbers.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 3, 2006
  13. Dennis Gordon

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Good point. But they have a ton of positive end user feedback.

    Larry Hodges, Jun 3, 2006
  14. I'd ask them, but I strongly suspect they do it right. However, I can't
    really tell, since I'm on the northern side of that border. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  15. Absolutely a violation of the licensing agreement and definitely a vendor to
    avoid.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  16. Matters not, they are goniffs if they're sending you the Academic version
    without verification that you're a student.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2006
  17. Dennis Gordon

    Guest Guest

    Ok, I have finally got my dual boot comp working and solved all the solveable
    driver problems. Time to buy and up comes this word : Promotional...

    I also do not get the difference in the word promotional. Several sites have
    about a 40 dollar savings for going with this version. Some sites do say it
    must accompany a major hardware purchase. This makes me suspicous.

    2 sites are under 90:

    http://greatsoftwaredeals.com/products/microsoft-windows-xp-pro-64.php

    http://www.royaldiscount.com/miwixpprox641.html

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 11, 2006
  19. Promotional items are not OEM but are NFR (not for resale) copies. You may
    not transfer the license to another person but I believe you may transfer it
    between your own machines.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 11, 2006
  20. Dennis Gordon

    Guest Guest

    I agree newegg is the best. They send an email on your order, processing and
    the tracking number and are 1 day most times. This greatsoftwaredeal didn't
    bother to confirm the order and toomk their time sending it. I paid for US
    mail, since CD's have always gone through for me and the mail is watched very
    well now anyway. It arrived on day 8 with a priority tracking number. At day
    7 I sent an email to their order link and it was returned the next day!

    I think the trick is that microsoft has allowed these OEM CDs to not need
    activation because of some network agreement to not have to single machine
    validate. Most sites sell this with some bogus piece of hardware to comply to
    the letter. In my case, it is being used with a major hardware purchase as
    this machine, the 64 bit processor etc is all for 1 application. It is dated
    may 2005 and the hologram for microsoft licensing looks real although
    microsoft has not posted pictures of their oem line for 64 bit to match the
    authentication links for 32 bit.

    The last issue is logitech who are purposely avoiding writing camera drivers.
    If we do go back in history, the 1st peripheral besides the keyboard and
    monitor was the mouse. Many companies made mice but they all used the MS or
    IBM mouse drivers. Rarely did a company try to provide its own driver. In the
    desire to avoid this license they sought to make their own drivers. How hard
    can a camera driver be? They are made of wires, a light and some polished
    glass. This is not rocket science, there have been camera drivers for 20
    years. If MS or an independent software company writes this code, that should
    be something logitech or their customers should pay for. As it is, they are
    only paperweights for 64 bit systems.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2006