    I'm using Win 98SE."

    Thanks in advance

    Paul

    Paul Williamson, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Paul Williamson

    Ed Mullen Guest

    A couple of thoughts.

    First, these are the files related to Real in my plugins folder:

    nppl3260.dll
    nppl3260.xpt
    nprjplug.dll
    nprpplug.dll

    Second, do you have any MIME types for Real media defined in your Helper
    Applications? There are more than type of Real media: RA, RM, RAM are
    the most commone audio file extensions.

    Ed Mullen, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Hi Ed,

    Thanks for the reply.

    My plugins folder contains the following:

    npnul32.dll 18336
    NPSWF32.dll 729088
    nprpjplug.dll 36911
    nppl3260.dll 127017
    nprjplug.dll 24621

    ..which doesn't include nppl3260.xpt which you have listed. I wonder if I
    need this, and if so, where do I get it ?

    I've got MIME types defined in the Helper Applications for RA, and RAM.
    I haven't got RM and I'm not sure how to add this as I don't know what to
    put in the "MIME type" box.

    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul Williamson, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Paul Williamson

    Ed Mullen Guest

    That's the default Mozilla plugin.
    that's the Macromedia Flash Player plugin.
    those three are Real Player plugins.
    Should be in [drive]:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Netscape6

    Try copying it into the Mozilla plugins folder.

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Hi Ed,

    I've done that, without success :-(

    I wonder if it is the way I have RealPlayer set-up. I can't stand its
    insistance on trying to go online and do things, so I have re-named its
    Update folder (in Common Files). Everything still works O.K. in IE, but
    who knows, maybe it affects Mozilla.

    I have now found a Mozilla Plugin help site, and when I've got time I'll
    take a closer look anmd see if I can track down what's not right.

    Menawhile, if you have any other thoughts I'd like to hear them !

    Thanks for the help so far.

    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul Williamson, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Paul Williamson

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Real One has preferences to defeat all the automatic stuff. Renaming
    folders in a program's directory can induce problems. I'm not saying
    that's the answer, just that it's not a good idea unless you can
    document what's happening. A better way to defeat the "phone home"
    behkaviour of Real and Media Player and other apps is to use a firewall
    that monitors outgoing comm, like Zone Alarm. Even if you fail to
    configure all the prefs, or even if they're not available, in those
    kinds of apps, you can simply have the firewall block Internet access
    and prompt you every time the app asks for access. Then you can decide
    on a case-by-case basis to allow or disallow access.

    Other than completely cleaning out the system and reinstalling
    eveything, I'm at a loss on this problem.

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Paul Williamson

    Spaceface Guest

    Have u tried deleting Realplayer and using RealAlt, it works by playing
    all Real formats in Media Player. So u get all the benefits of the real
    player format, but without all the crap that comes with realplayer.
    It installs using Media Player Classic, and when installed will play all
    ..rm, ra,.ram etc files, even streaming files in media player.

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
    Spaceface, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Paul Williamson

    mark Guest

    Hello,

    I didn't catch the beginning of this thread, but THANKS for the link to
    real alternative. You never know who you might be helping when posting. I
    works great with streaming real media from npr.org with Firebird.

    Just one question...
    Can I go ahead and un-install Real Player now?

    Thank you again,

    Mark

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
    mark, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Paul Williamson

    Spaceface Guest

    ---------------------
    Mark, i actually found that it worked better if you uninstall both
    realplayer and media player, lol, then install realalt with the media
    player classic it has with it. u can then safely never use 'bloatware'
    again. if any problems, real and media player are easily available for
    dl from their respective sites

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
    Spaceface, Dec 12, 2003
  10. I gave it a try, and it works very well. Real files are played in the
    WMV classic. Its a cool little ap!

    Lee

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Paul Williamson

    mark Guest

    Tookl your advice and uninstalled Real and Win Media Player's. Thnkyou for
    the tip! All work just fine.

    Mark

    mark, Dec 12, 2003