    you provides support for the camera, helping with the longer exposures
    needed indoors.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 20, 2005

  2. I wonder how long it will take the manufacturers to come up with a solution
    to this problem. For example, it is not that hard to make a variable width
    bar that you can move over the histogram and have the areas in image with the
    selected intensity marked in one way or another.

    Another aspect that is missing just about all cases is a histogram that is
    actually marked in (relative) exposure values or something like that.

    Philip Homburg, Sep 20, 2005

  3. The Canon 20Da. It is a 20D with a different IR block filter and
    firmware that adds new stuff. Otherwise same chip as the 20D.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 20, 2005
  4. The larger zoom range can work well in lower resolution systems. That
    is why it works in video systems. Same with P&S cameras, except
    the higher resolution we are seeing is showing the problems in the long range
    zooms. Perhaps the manufacturers think users won't care about
    image quality, just the huge zoom range.
    See:
    FZ30 compared to Canon EOS Rebel XT (350D):
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/page14.asp

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 20, 2005
  5. I suspect, though, that there are probably severe limitations on the 20Da's
    "live preview", such that it wouldn't be much use in normal lighting levels.
    (I'm just guessing here, though.)

    The new Sony R1 chip, however, is almost 1.5x size and can do live preview.
    Maybe the next Olympus will be the first dSLR with live preview (since the
    Sony chip is a tad smaller than APS-C).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 20, 2005
  6. It hasn't in my opinion.

    Actually, few people (any?) recommended a specific DSLR camera; to the contrary
    the mere mention of a non-specific DSLR has brought fourth numerous
    P&S models that can do this or that better. I and others
    suggested things like check the lens selection you hope to get,
    or hold each one and choose the one that feels best.
    I also never said that you can only take good quality pictures
    with a DSLR mounted on a tripod, and I haven't seen anyone else
    say that either. I know I said one can take great pictures
    with a P&S. I said I have done so. But the OP wanted to
    step up to a DSLR. This thread has mostly been attacks
    by the P&S crowd on DSLRs.

    It is a general principle of photography, long before digital
    that a good tripod improves sharpness. It is independent of camera
    type, size and weight.

    Get over it. Simply admit that DSLRs with their larger sensors,
    better AF and noise performance, large quality lens selection,
    IN GENERAL take better pictures. (Odd--replace with film versus digital
    and the tone is the same in the P&S versus DSLR wars) Everyone know DSLRs
    are larger and weight more. Yes, you can design a specific shot that a
    given P&S camera can execute better, but that is not the point. The DSLRs
    do better in most situations, assuming one is OK with the greater
    weight and size.

    This thread has not helped the OP much. He/she has probably fled
    screaming what a bunch of nuts in this newsgroup.

    If the OP is still around, I suggest you start a new thread,
    this time tell us a little more about what you want to achieve
    with your step up to a DSLR, and put in a note about please
    no P&S versus DSLR wars.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 20, 2005
  7. Well, I don't have any AF lenses. If I wait until the camera is done
    focusing, I can wait forever :)
    I don't have any significant experience with autofocus, so my question
    is, how is the camera supposed to know what should be in focus?

    For small P&S cameras, this is not an issue: DoF is usually large enough
    that something reasonable will happen (and most people view pictures at
    the equivalent of around 1 Mpixel, so small focusing errors will not
    be noticeable).

    When shooting wide open with lenses (and printing big) focusing becomes
    tricky. What if the camera selects the microphone and not the eyes of the
    singer? Or the hand of the guitarist and not the strings?

    Philip Homburg, Sep 20, 2005
  8. What particular "image quality" problems do you think the large zoom range
    lenses show (as applied to small-sensor, non-SLR systems)?

    Unfortunately I can find no images from the Sigma 28 - 300 zoom on DP
    Review, so I can't see how well it would compare with the Leica lens on
    the Pansonic.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    []
    I have nothing to "get over". I have used both types of camera, and for
    me, I know that the point-and-shoot is more likely to produce images
    simply because I am more likely to take it with me! Both type of camera
    have their advantages and disadvantages, with broadly speaking the larger
    camera making better images.

    My scientific mind would like to have a good understanding of the
    comparison of the cameras and their lenses and sensors, rather than the
    "Only Canon is any good" style of discussion.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 20, 2005
  10. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Should you ever care about getting things right, I do have
    links on how live preview works, using the same parts of the
    sensor that capture the image-of-record.

    Wonder where you got that idea.
    Do you want to know how it works?

    Bryan Olson, Sep 20, 2005
  11. Funny, because I'm not happy with the screen in the E300. It isn't
    _terrible_, but it isn't what I'd really like, either. I find that,
    especially in low-light conditions, it isn't as easy to tell exactly
    whether it's in focus or not as it has been with some other cameras I've
    used. I'd love a split-prism screen. Katz Eye Optics doesn't offer one
    for the E300 yet, but they told me they've received a lot of inquiries
    and are thinking about offering one.

    Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner, Sep 20, 2005
  12. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Here are the the "attacks" on DLSR's:

    Be careful that with a DSLR you make one step forward,
    but also a step backward into the dark ages of photography,
    when no live preview existed. [Alfred Molon]

    So no swivel viewfinders for those awkward taking angles!
    Plus you lose movie mode, and may get problems with dust
    ingress (and spots being visible on every subsequent
    picture) every time you change lenses. Better low-light
    performance, though. [David J Taylor]

    I had a Sony F-707, and the flexibility to hold the camera
    at places other than in front of my eye was far more useful
    than I had expected.
    Another advantage is the silence of electronic shutters.
    [Myself]

    And there isn't even a "P&S crowd" in sight.

    Bryan Olson, Sep 20, 2005
  13. Freedom55

    Bill Funk Guest

    Most of those threads are started by someone who wants to know about
    the dust problem, because they are thinking about buying a DSLR.
    The thread is then populated by posts from people who have opinions on
    how to clean the sensor, many from experience in actually doing it.
    Each time hte question is asked, the same thing happens.
    "All these threads" are really the same thread: question asked, then
    answered.

    Bill Funk, Sep 20, 2005
  14. Freedom55

    Chris Brown Guest

    Well, the "LR" bit applies.
    I operate it with my fingers - does that count?

    Chris Brown, Sep 20, 2005
  15. Freedom55

    Chris Brown Guest

    Both of these would be interesting innovations.

    Chris Brown, Sep 20, 2005
  16. Hardly an attack when I mention both the advantages and disadvantages of a
    DSLR. Someone moving from a point-and-shoot (i.e. the OP) may not be
    aware of what they are giving up. Most likely, though, they will choose
    to keep both cameras and have the best of both worlds.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 20, 2005
  17. Oh, yes! What scene modes does it have? <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 20, 2005
  18. Freedom55

    W.E. O'Neil Guest

    I'm sorry, but I never have thought chimping is a very productive photo
    technique.

    Not to mention that fact that my S45 and S180 provide better view than the
    LCD ever could, or that many other housing manufacturers are now offering
    viewfinders similar to the extraordinary Seacam eyepieces.

    An LCD is "essential for correct framing"? Gee, what did we all do before
    digital came into our lives?

    W.E. O'Neil, Sep 20, 2005
  19. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    What is a "DSLR sensor" ? Would the one in the Sony R1 qualify ?

    Alfred Molon, Sep 20, 2005
  20. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Possibly the manufacturers will learn from these "attacks" and improve
    the design of DSLRs.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 20, 2005