    mechanical shutter models don't have this problem and the old film cameras
    sure didn't have any lag to speak of. I never heard people talking about
    shutter lag till digicams came along!

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005

  2. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    Another bonus for going with the olympus.. No dust.

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005

  3. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    I still have my nikon 2100, it works great for snap shots.

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    Got some examples of this?

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    I'm so glad you NEVER bash other camera systems as you've claimed so many
    times in the past!

    BTW have you ever got around to shooting anything besides lens test shots
    with your canon?

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005
  6. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    LOL

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    Mine doesn't seem to have this problem.
    Chimpin'

    Stacey, Sep 19, 2005
  8. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    []
    It's a personal thing, but I have found that point-and-shoot cameras I can
    hand hold down to a much slower shutter speed - 1/10s or less. I put this
    down partially to the lower resolution of the cameras I was then using
    (3MP compared to film) but mainly to the complete lack of vibration and
    acoustic noise when shooting. Now that image stabilisation is available
    (e.g Panasonic FZ5), that 1/10s is sharp even when zoomed to 100mm
    equivalent. I think I would find it difficult to reproduce these results
    with a noisy DSLR and its slapping mirror.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005
  9. Skip M wrote:
    []
    Many of the higher-end point-and-shoot cameras now provide full manual
    control, just like on an SLR.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005
  10. Yes, but (for example) on the Minolta A2 the whole EVF assembly can
    swivel. Many cameras offer both an eye-contact EVF and a swivel LCD.

    []
    I have a 432mm f/3.3 lens in a ~300g camera.

    I rarely make prints.

    I do sometimes make panoramas (typically less than 180 degrees) from
    multiple images, so I do get more resolution than the basic camera image.
    Equipment is helpful to getting the best images, but not under all
    circumstances. For street candids, the last thing you want is a big lens
    on a DSLR with a tripod mount (unless you are paparazzi). Inside many
    museums and churches tripods are not allowed. So it is not immediately
    obvious that a DSLR is a step up, depending on what you are trying to do.
    Both DSLRs and point-and-shoot have their limitations, and I think the
    discussion has brought some of these points out.

    Different folk have different needs, and different kit will suit them
    best.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Why is image quality the be-all and end-all? Miss a picture of a unique
    event because you were still getting the tripod out?

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Freedom55" <"joinertake this out wrote:
    []
    Maybe there's no need for extra equipment - look at the long zoom image
    stabilised cameras such as the Panasonic FZ5 (432mm f/3.3 image-stabilised
    Leica lens). That's what I took to the Barcelona GP in May and I was
    delighted with the results. If that's not enough, then get a DSLR and an
    expensive telephoto lens, but then you may not see as much of the race as
    you'll be full-time photographing it! If that's what you want, fine....

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005
  13. Freedom55

    Mark² Guest

    No.

    Mark², Sep 19, 2005
  14. Freedom55

    Paul Murray Guest

    The vast majority of shutter lag on P&S comes from slow AF systems, not the
    trivial amount of time taken to reset the sensor. Cheap film P&S are just as
    slow.

    Paul Murray, Sep 19, 2005
  15. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Sorry if you were unhappy with your cameras.

    Sounds like you need to gather a bit more.

    [...]
    Pulling them lines low is faster than moving a shutter.

    Bryan Olson, Sep 19, 2005
  16. Freedom55

    Chris Brown Guest

    He wants an SLR, not a view camera.

    Chris Brown, Sep 19, 2005
  17. Freedom55

    Chris Brown Guest

    I'll add my voices to the people saying no. This EOS 10D frame was shot
    almost directly into low Sun (February at 52 degrees north, the Sun is just
    off-frame to the bottom left):

    http://narcissus.dyndns.org/Chris/Angducksorig.jpg

    Note that the ducks and trees are pretty much silhouettes against a
    blown-out sky. I then pushed it two stops, and fiddled with the levels to
    pull some detail back from the highlights, and turned it B&W, because there
    really wasn't much useful colour infomration anyway:

    http://narcissus.dyndns.org/Chris/Angducks.jpg

    I doubt the same shot on print film would have stood up to anything like the
    same level of abuse, let alone slides, which are often claimed (incorrectly)
    to have a similar latitude to DSLRs.

    Chris Brown, Sep 19, 2005
  18. Freedom55

    SMS Guest

    Pointing out legitimate issues with a product is not bashing it.
    I have never shot a lens test shot.

    SMS, Sep 19, 2005
  19. Freedom55

    Jock Guest

    Alfred,
    you point it at something, it has a fixed lens (perhaps a zoom) and you
    press a button to take the photo.
    A SLR to my way of thinking has a lens system you can change, has a viewer
    to look through which is a direct representation of the photo being taken
    without any parallax issues (as the rangefinder p&s cameras have in close).
    My own definition. I have not had any formal education in this but having
    had 35mm rangefinder, 35mm SLR, digital p&s (SONY DSC-S70, DSC-85) and now
    my *ist D, I consider I know a little about what a SLR is.
    You may want now to revise the definition seeing as how the digital SLR
    offering is aimed at the whole market and even my 8 y.o. son can pick up the
    *ist D and get terrific results. You might say these are point & shoot
    cameras I guess.
    The DSC-R1 is a great camera by the writeups and I take nothing from it,
    just your mentioning it in the SLR range had me puzzled as I consider it a
    fixed lens system and not a SLR. I still retain my S85 as a camera to use
    for various work and it is great for macro work and just a portable camera
    when I don't want the backpack along.
    Regards,
    Jock

    Jock, Sep 19, 2005
  20. OK, but changing lens, cleaning the dust can also delay you. It doesn't
    alter my comment that image quality is not the sole criterion.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 19, 2005