    Damn, how did I get by all these years (decades actually) without a
    live preview and histograms? I must have learned the principles of
    photography rather than expecting a chip to do it for me.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Taylor
    Yeah, I was always pissed that my Hasselblads couldn't take movies.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Try it? I am a videographer.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  4. Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    Randall, get real. You must admit that digital has a narrower latitude
    than film - especially on the overexposure end. Watch a pro doing a
    wedding or something and see whether he or she checks the LCD after each
    shot. I saw only one who did not - and she admitted that she did check
    it after the first one, then depended on the rest to be the same.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  5. Can any camera with that format make movies?

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Well, actually I have used both plain ground-glass and
    micro-prism/split-focus screens on my SLR cameras, and I know which I
    preferred. Why are the present low-end DSLR users being forced to put up
    with inferior manual focussing aids?

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Freedom55

    dylan Guest

    I believe the nearest would the ones used for IMax (70mm film) ;O)

    dylan, Sep 18, 2005
  8. "David J Taylor"
    Any 70mm movie camera...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 18, 2005
  9. And with a 70mm back, your blad will take exactly the same film.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 18, 2005
  10. What is the "best" way to take a really blurry image (no need for high
    megapixel count)? Use the EVF and hold the camera at arm's length
    with two hands to compose and shoot. WRONG! Use one hand! ;-)

    EVF is very hard to see in daylight. Regardless of advances, it takes
    time to read out a chip, reformat and send the data to a display. If you
    want to follow action (one of the great advantages of a DSLR, whether it
    be sports, wildlife, your pets, or your kid's first step) use a true optical
    viewfinder. If you want to critically compose, use a true optical
    viewfinder (e.g. see the details--do you really want that stick in your
    composition?). If you want fast frame rates, low noise, with low shutter lag,
    and great lenses, a DSLR is the top choice.

    I have a Canon right angle finder that I can put on the camera when I want
    odd viewing positions, and it gives me more magnification to help with
    manual focusing. And it is true live preview, limited only by the speed
    of light!

    I do agree that DSLR manufacturers could add swivel LCD screens, and live
    preview. In fact Canon has added live preview in the 20Da DSLR, designed
    for astro-photography.

    The big disadvantage of a DSLR system is weight. Many lenses, heavier camera,
    mean bulk. But if image quality is what you want, and ability to have that
    image quality from macro to super telephoto, dedicated lenses optimized
    for a specific task is the only way to get top those quality images.

    I often carry a 30 to 60 pound day pack of photo gear. My wife asks why?
    I respond: because I can. And I will continue until I can't. Be happy that I am
    in shape and still can (in my 50s). I look at it as exercise too.
    When I want to travel light, I take a single lens (just spent 2 weeks in
    England one 28-135 mm lens on a DSLR). If ultra light, I take a P&S.
    A DSLR is not the only choice. But if I want to get great photos,
    the gear comes out, including DSLR and 4x5.

    For the OP: in choosing a DSLR, choose the lens and accessory system first.
    Where do you want to be? Do you ultimately want an image stabilized super
    telephoto? Do you want top end macro? Wide angle? Need Flash?
    Choose the manufacturer's lens and accessories that best suit your desires.
    Then choose the camera. As you build a lens set, camera bodies will change,
    but you will likely keep your better lenses. That will allow you to maximize
    you upgrade path. With a P&S you have to evaluate and pay for the lens as well
    as the sensor. With DSLR, you get to choose the best independently and
    can upgrade the sensor (body) and keep the great lens.

    Roger
    Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Sep 18, 2005
  11. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    They could add IS the way Konica-Minolta do it - by moving the CCD
    instead of the lens.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 18, 2005
  12. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    How is an SLR defined ? What does "Single lens reflex" mean ?

    Alfred Molon, Sep 18, 2005
  13. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Please define what a P&S is.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 18, 2005
  14. Freedom55

    Matti Vuori Guest

    It might not be so easy, as KM have most likely carefully patented the
    method worldwide.

    Matti Vuori, Sep 18, 2005
  15. I never look at histograms. I know the limitations of my equipment and
    how to deal with it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 18, 2005
  16. Freedom55

    clw Guest

    Point and shoot.

    clw, Sep 18, 2005
  17. But it isn't the same format, merely the same medium.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  18. Doesn't have the same image format.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  19. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    []
    Time to look at some better cameras, if that's your opinion. Take a look
    through the finder of a Nikon 8400 or Minolta A2. Just as easy to see in
    anylight as any (D)SLR.

    []
    I would regard 60 oz as enough!

    Cheers,