    cycle that puts the others' futures in doubt. Not that any are
    dying soon, but the smaller their markets, the less they can
    invest in advancing their systems.

    Bryan Olson, Sep 18, 2005

  2. In my opinion, the big disadvantage of focusing aids is that they only work
    in the center of the screen. Subconsciously that may lead to bad compositions.
    But they are also quite useless when you want to track a moving object that
    is not in the center of the screen. On a tripod you have to move the subject
    to the center, focus, and re-compose.

    I prefer ground glass with the horizontal and vertical 'architecture'
    aids.

    Philip Homburg, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Absolutely. Beware of photographers who learned their
    craft in the dark ages; they tend to think of new
    facilities as toy-features for dilettantes, while
    anything missing is a defect no serious photographer
    could tolerate.
    I'm tempted. But what were they thinking leaving out
    image stabilization?

    Bryan Olson, Sep 18, 2005
  4. Freedom55

    dylan Guest

    First line from unique points at dpreview:-

    "First non-SLR camera to feature a large format sensor (APS size)"

    not quite a DSLR then..

    dylan, Sep 18, 2005
  5. I think their argument goes: we provided a large sensor, which works at
    higher ISO, and therefore shorter shutter speeds, and therefore less need
    for IS. And it's only a 120mm lens anyway.

    I think the Sony camera is a market tester. If it sells well, future
    variants will provide the features potential customers demand and other
    makers will jump on the bandwagon; if it doesn't sell it will be noted in
    history....

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    I think you may be right that that's how the argument goes,
    but it's a silly argument. If the camera performs well in
    kinda-challenging light, I'm all the more interested in how
    it does in big-time-problem light.
    Sure. All products are market testers.

    I'm on the edge; I probably won't buy it as it is, but I
    probably would if it had IS. That means history could note
    that people like me do not want and will not buy a fixed-lens,
    large-sensor, electronic-viewfinder camera, when really we do
    want it and would buy it.

    Note to Sony: Good ideas. But if you lock a camera to one
    lens, that lens has got to rock. Lens design is a matter of
    trade-offs, but image stabilization is a huge advantage, and
    the price is only cost and modest battery drain.

    Please, build it. I'll buy it. And the laser-focus-assist on
    my old F-707 was a winner too (just don't put it behind the
    filter/converter treads).

    Bryan Olson, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Freedom55

    Stewy Guest

    Both the cameras you own are fairly small P&S cameras and I imagine
    you've appreciated the conveniences as well as the shortfalls of both
    cameras.

    Plus points include portability, simplicity and unintrusive. Do you
    really want to give up that because the photo magazines scream 'Look
    what you're missing' - DSLRs will commit you to hauling a rucksack with
    two or three heavy lenses plus a body and very sturdy (read: heavy)
    tripod.
    True, they're very versatile but think about large lens P&S or
    near-DSLRs like the Fuji 9500 or 7000 or Pansonic FZ30 these are not
    small but eliminate the need for changing lenses and are far more
    compact (and cheaper) than an SLR.

    Stewy, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Freedom55

    Chris Brown Guest

    Have you perhaps considered changing the record?

    Chris Brown, Sep 18, 2005
  9. Freedom55

    Jock Guest

    what is the model number of the SONY DSLR? Are you mixed up with the DSC-R1
    P&S?
    If so, the link here shows it: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscr1/
    Jock

    Jock, Sep 18, 2005
  10. Freedom55

    Steven Wandy Guest

    - low light photography (a viewfinder might be too dark)

    Actually, optical viewfinders are MUCH better in low light. Most of the EVF
    that I have used are terrible in low light situations.

    Steven Wandy, Sep 18, 2005
  11. My Oly E20 has both (optical and live preview LCD) and there doesn't
    seem to be that great a penalty in light transmission. A prism directs
    part of the incoming light to the OVF. I operate mostly in the optical
    mode, but I can light up the EVF on the back if I wish. Used rarely, to
    adjust color balance and sometimes exposure. No live histogram though.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  12. Freedom55

    dj_nme Guest

    In that case, you must not have had a chance to use any of the (Konica)
    Minolta Dimage 5, 7 or A series cameras.
    They all have an "amplified" brightened b&w view in the EVF that
    automaticaly kicks in when the scene is too dark to otherwise see
    anything much.
    It is very useful for dark areas and is pretty much the same as "night
    framing" mode that the Sony F828 has.
    The only downside is that if you don't use flash, the length of
    exposure alomst assures lots of camera shake and a fair dollop of image
    noise shows up in the image.

    dj_nme, Sep 18, 2005
  13. Bingo. Seems to me that the mechanical mirror slap would take longer
    than an electronic switch. SLRs are very crude devices, if you think
    about it.
    Re-bingo. And the possibilities are only beginning.
    Bing - o, nevermind. Great post Bryan.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  14. Freedom55

    Jasen Guest

    Have you thought about the Dynax/Maxxum 5D or 7D. Their both excellent.

    Jasen, Sep 18, 2005
  15. I don't think Ansel Adams, Edward Steichen, or Alfred Eisenstaedt ever
    wrung their hands over not having a movie mode on a shoot. The dust
    ingress part I agree with, though.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  16. If you want to go wise-guy on Alfred, get it right. The Sony is
    technically an EVF ZLR, not a "Point and Shoot." We had raging arguments
    when the Oly E10 came out whether it counted as an SLR or not. We ended
    up refining the definitions between SLR and ZLR as to whether the lens
    was interchangeable or not.

    The argument with the Sony will be whether it can be called a ZLR or
    not, since its viewing system is electronic and not "reflex." To my
    mind, you are still viewing through the lens, which makes it like an
    SLR. On the other hand, it is much the same as the 717 or 828 or the
    Minolta A1, which are considered EVFs.

    But it certainly isn't a P&S.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Sep 18, 2005
  17. I was also dubious about the value of movie mode until I tried it - even a
    few seconds of movie can enhance the enjoyment of memories of an event.
    Try it!

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  18. Freedom55

    Bill Funk Guest

    Since the light to the EVF comes through the lens, wouldn't it be a
    TTL viewfinder system?
    A TTLEVF?

    Bill Funk, Sep 18, 2005
  19. Freedom55

    SMS Guest

    Either the D70s or the Rebel XT would be fine, with each having its
    strong points and weak points. The advantage of the D70s is the spot
    metering capability, which can be important to some users. The Rebel XT
    is higher resolution, has a better selection of lenses, and has an
    available vertical grip.

    One thing that you need to consider is that long term, Pentax and
    Olympus will probably not be in the D-SLR business. You especially want
    to avoid the Olympus products, due to the inherent limitations of the
    4:3 system.

    SMS, Sep 18, 2005
  20. Freedom55

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    You don't absolutely need prism screens (although they can be handy) you
    just need to learn how to focus. It takes much longer to describe than to
    do. Basically get approx. to the focus point, go past it and then just
    back the other way past it and then just betwenn the two points and you
    should be exactly in focus. Takes practice but can be very fast.

    Neil Ellwood, Sep 18, 2005