    Where I belong I'm right
    Where I belong.

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Freedom55

    dylan Guest

    might be worth sending to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems also.

    For my two penneth (cents) worth, choose between the Nikon and the Canon on
    the handling and features you like, unless you already have some lenses to
    bias you. Quailty wise etc they are pretty similar. The Olympus and Pentax
    don't get as good comments.

    dylan, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Freedom55

    paul.busse Guest

    I've just upgraded from the Digital Rebel to the XT. The small size is
    taking some getting used to, but I'm well pleased with the camera in
    general.

    You've probably looked at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ but I
    thought I'd mention the site just in case. . .

    Paul B.
    www.scienceteacher.biz

    paul.busse, Sep 17, 2005
  4. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Be careful that with a DSLR you make one step forward, but also a step
    backward into the dark ages of photography, when no live preview
    existed. A good option is the new Sony DSLR with 10MP and live preview.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 17, 2005
  5. BS. Optical viewfinders have no sensor readout delay and have an effectively
    infinitie frame rate.

    It's the P&S camera that don't have live preview, only a poor imitations
    thereof.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Freedom55

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Some people might argue that reality in the viewfinder is better than a
    digital approximation.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Freedom55

    Bill Guest

    David, if you have a hammer, hit that darn nail on the head!

    :)

    Bill, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Freedom55

    Mark² Guest

    Crap.

    Optical viewfinders are MILES ahead of electronic viewfinders in terms of
    clarity and immediacy.

    If you want through-the-lens viewing with the greatest level of accuracy and
    responsiveness, the DSLRs optical VF is *THE* way to go.

    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
  9. Freedom55

    S R Guest

    Could you fill me in on the difference between an optical viewfinder and
    electronic.

    Stephen R.

    S R, Sep 18, 2005
  10. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    Money wise the E300 2 lens kit is hard to beat for "bang for the buck". You
    hear lots of people who have never used one bitch about the image quality,
    the people using them don't!

    You really have to think about what you plan to use the camera for, how
    "deep" a system -you- need, which lenses you may or may not need in the
    future, what is your planned output size etc etc. Basically you didn't
    supply enough info. Also you need to go handle them and see which one feel
    comfortable to you and which type of controls you like etc. Check out the
    different viewfinders and focus screens, try doing some manual focusing
    with each and see which ones allow you to see the focus point easily. Do
    you need good low light handheld without flash ability? The canon is really
    good at that. Lots of thing only YOU can answer..

    Stacey, Sep 18, 2005
  11. Freedom55

    Mark² Guest

    Optical is simply...optical...in that you are looking through a prism and
    mirror...which means you are looking directly at the light in the scene.

    With an electronic viewfinder...though you look into a little lens, you're
    really looking at a video representation of the scene--much in the same way
    you would see when looking at a scene with a video camera. You don't see
    the actual light of the scene...you see a video of it.

    Electronic viewfinders are limited to the pixels of the screen, and also the
    slow response time that is always present. No matter how "fast" they some
    may claim them to be, they simply cannot give you the immediacy of reaction,
    nor the true colors of the scene as a simple optic can.

    -Mark

    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
  12. Freedom55

    ASAAR Guest

    Nonsense. Early EVFs were slow, but great strides have been made,
    and sooner than you wish, EVF's response time will be fast enough to
    satisfy everyone, with the possible exception of a few, such as you.
    Affordable LCD monitors have 8ms response times, which is faster
    than a TV's 30/60 fps (interlaced) refresh rate. If that kind of
    speed isn't enough for you (and that's not the limit) then you'll
    have a hard time convincing anyone that you're not a DSLR snob with
    an agenda. With better sensors and amplifiers, an EVF can let you
    see what you're shooting in conditions too dark for many optical
    viewfinders. Each type of viewfinder has advantages and
    disadvantages that elude those limited by tunnel vision.

    ASAAR, Sep 18, 2005
  13. Freedom55

    Pete D Guest

    Personally I prefer anything to the 350D's handling, and the Pentac and Oly
    handle just as well or better than the D70 anyway.

    Quailty wise etc they are pretty similar. The Olympus and Pentax
    And no one can work out why, feature for feature they are at least as good
    and some things are better, mind you the Oly has limited support from second
    party lenses so you can only buy the Oly lenses, not a problem for some.

    Pete D, Sep 18, 2005
  14. Freedom55

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    My advice is go to a shop and handle them all. Get the one that you feel
    most comfortable with.

    Neil Ellwood, Sep 18, 2005
  15. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    And isn't going to have any shutter lag..The EVF has to have a sensor design
    that can feed the "video" to the EVF and then switch to "capture". There
    will always be some lag during this "switch" in modes. Also there is going
    to be some compromise in the sensor to allow this "live preview" from the
    sensor as you're asking it to peform 2 jobs. The only reason people use the
    "live preview" on the P&S is because the optical finders they use have BAD
    paralax and many don't show the actual shooting focal length very well. the
    only advantage an EVF has over an SLR system is it's cheaper to make.
    It's also harder to judge the focus point with an EVF compared to an SLR
    with a good focus screen.

    Stacey, Sep 18, 2005
  16. So no swivel viewfinders for those awkward taking angles! Plus you lose
    movie mode, and may get problems with dust ingress (and spots being
    visible on every subsequent picture) every time you change lenses. Better
    low-light performance, though.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  17. Stacey wrote:
    []
    But which low-end DSLR offers a good focus screen?
    I don't see split-prism or micro-focus screens any more...

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 18, 2005
  18. Freedom55

    Pete D Guest

    Optical uses a pentamirror or better ones use pentaprism to take light
    directly from the lens to the viewfinder, pretty much all SLR and D-SLR's
    use this system, an electronic viewfinder does not use a mirror or prism to
    reflect light to the viewfinder but lets the light fall on the sensor at all
    times and the image is constantly fed to an itty bitty LCD screen that you
    look at to focus etc, problem with the EVF's (Electronic ViewFinder) is that
    they are way too low a resolution and they are difficult to focus with
    because they are not sharp and often there is some delay, opticals operate
    at the speed of light so the delay is pretty low.

    Pete D, Sep 18, 2005
  19. Freedom55

    Bryan Olson Guest

    That has been a problem, but not so much with the better
    EVF's, and it's not an intrinsic limitation. Electronic
    switch-over can be far faster than mechanically pulling a
    mirror out of the way, or even moving a shutter.
    It's pretty much the same job.
    Definitely not true. I had a Sony F-707, and the flexibility
    to hold the camera at places other than in front of my eye
    was far more useful than I had expected.

    Another advantage is the silence of electronic shutters.

    Bryan Olson, Sep 18, 2005
  20. Freedom55

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Tons of situations where a swivelable LCD screen is helpful, if not
    essential:
    - underwater photography (essential for correct framing)
    - panorama photography (necessary to be able to rotate the camera arond
    its nodal point, if you don't have a tripod and panorama head with you)
    - low light photography (a viewfinder might be too dark)
    - unconventional angles, when you cannot look through a viewfinder
    - when you need a live histogram before pressing the shutter

    Alfred Molon, Sep 18, 2005