    Thanks!

    Pattern-chaser

    "Who cares, wins"

    Pattern-chaser, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Pattern-chaser

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Pattern

    A tiff is a tiff is a tiff...

    Sometimes losslessly (is that a word?) compressed, most
    usually lzw compression. But any good photo editor like
    photoshop or paint shop pro will happily read and write
    them.

    In any case, what comes out of your camera will be
    uncompressed.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Pattern-chaser

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Pattern-chaser
    Your basic vanilla 8 bit/channel tiff will likely be readable by any decent
    graphics program and no doubt that's what this camera poops out. 16
    bit/channel and compressed tiffs are readable by a subset of programs.

    You were probably mixing up tiff with RAW since the RAW files are proprietary
    and are the ones that are "different", while tiff is an open format.
    Probably pretty basic but you never know ...
    Photoshop is probably overkill at this stage, I'd suggest Elements 3 or
    Paintshop Pro 9 or similar < $100 program.
    8 bit/channel tiffs are no problem.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Pattern-chaser wrote:
    []
    Depends in which country you buy it.
    Paint Shop Pro would be a good start - it includes noise-reduction and
    chromatic aberration reduction features as well as comprehensive editing.
    There is also an active and helpful use community available via their
    newsgroups for when you need help.
    TIFF = Thousand Incompatible File Formats

    There used to be compatibility issues between different varieties of TIFF,
    you will probably be OK with the FZ3 and mainstream software today.

    Make a careful comparison between TIFF and the high-quality JPEG -
    determine for yourself if you really need the TIFFs.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Thanks, David! I had assumed TIFFs would give me better quality than
    JPEGs. Is this wrong?

    Pattern-chaser

    "Who cares, wins"

    Pattern-chaser, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Pattern-chaser wrote:
    []
    Yes, but...

    TIFFs are normally lossless, whereas JPEGs are normally lossy. Depending
    on the amount of JPEG compression you may, or you may not, be able to see
    the difference. If you get JPEG out of the camera, storing it in TIFFs
    serves no function.

    It's possible that the TIFFs from the camera will give you slightly better
    quality, but it really depends on how good the camera's JPEG compression
    is. Using TIFFs may allow you slight extra margin when editing the image
    if you stretch the contrast a lot. You really to need to take the same
    shot both ways and compare.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 18, 2004
  7. If you are the sort of person that re-edits an image multiple times, I would
    imagine using a TIFF or PNG to save the intermediate results, would mean that
    you don't suffer any futher loses as you might by re-saving the file as JPEG.
    Obviously saving the intermediate file in the photo editors native format (such
    as .psd for photoshop IIRC) means you keep the layers, etc. at a cost of more
    disk space.

    Michael Meissner, Dec 18, 2004