    presume gender of yourself.
    Hope no offence taken.
    Best wishes to everyone, Patrick

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Raine

    Liz Guest

    Yup, women and cats will do as they please, and men and
    dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

    - Robert A. Heinlein

    Liz, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    No problem on the typo; everybody does it. On another matter,
    now your client is not adding attribution marks correctly, either!

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Raine

    Raine Guest

    Hi Trout,
    I might not be able to get my text wrapped properly, but I am absorbing
    all kinds of things. It's a long, long road with so many bumps in it I
    keep falling over, but I WILL find that smooth path with the help of
    everyone.
    I DO appreciate the help, just a shame I can't get it to work! ;o)
    Raine.

    You didn't read it particularly *well*, then. Clients such as the
    one that Boomer uses (or even OEQuotefix) have no problem 'fixing'
    line-wrap. 'This' newsgroup is where people come to learn to do things
    properly in Usenet. It's often a poster's first newsgroup experience.
    If they learn to do these things, and apply them to their general
    newsgroup experience; *they* will be better off, as will other newsgroup
    participants, in general.
    --
    "Better to get it staightened-out now; than to come back later wondering
    why so many people are saying awful things."

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Raine

    Raine Guest

    What are *attribution marks*?
    This is getting way above my head.
    Raine.

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Raine

    °Mike° Guest

    The sideways arrow type marks (usually), that indicate the depth of
    the thread, to mark who said what.

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Raine

    Raine Guest

    It matters to ME whether or not my postings present right or not.
    I have to put my own mind at rest on this as well as everyone elses who
    have taken time out to help. They give their time freely to solve other
    peoples' errors etc.
    You might be computer literate, I'm pretty well a novice.
    8 weeks online!! Most of those 8 weeks have been damned hard, but I WILL
    get there one day.
    Raine.

    God! What a tremendous waste of time to please someone who simply won't
    read through broken text. It IS possible to read broken up posts, you
    know?
    And it takes a lot less time and bandwidth.

    Obviously, I had the time to waste reading through this thread. lol

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Raine

    Raine Guest

    Ahhh, thanks, I know those as *carets*,
    What do I need to do to put them right, please?
    Raine

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Raine

    SgtMinor Guest

    [SOFT RETURN]?

    SgtMinor, Aug 31, 2003
  10. Raine

    trout Guest

    That's in the same place as your word-wrap. Tools - Options - Send -
    News Sending Format - Plain Text Settings: check the box beside "Indent
    original text with ">" when replying or forwarding".
    Note also, that you can actually choose between several characters.
    Like the word-wrap; this character-choice must also agree with the one
    you've selected in OE QuoteFix (the 'Quote Character' under
    'Composition').
    I also wanted to know if you've tried just re-starting the programs-
    OE, and OEQuotefix, after making changes?

    trout, Aug 31, 2003
  11. Raine

    Penguin Guest

    Greetings;

    If I may interject here Raine. I don't use Outlook Express, but when
    you wrote the instructions below on how you're trying to fix the
    word-wrap problem you put that you're going to the "Mail Sending
    Format". Is that different than "News Sending Format" in OE, or do
    the mail settings adjust the news settings as well?

    Just a thought. HTH.

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris

    Penguin, Aug 31, 2003
  12. Raine

    Raine Guest

    Excuse me, but what has the link you gave me got to do with text
    wrapping?
    I'm fully conversant with basic maintenance proceedures. I even know how
    to defrag! Been there, done that!
    Raine

    [SOFT RETURN]?
    only follow your instructions as you advise me too. You told me how to
    change the setting, so I did, but still it's wrong. I agree something is
    amiss, but I haven't a clue what, or even how to put it right.

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  13. Raine

    Boomer.. Guest

    Raine said:
    Huh? SgtMinor didn't post a link.
    He was just replying to mike.

    See above ^ ^ ^ ^

    Boomer.., Aug 31, 2003
  14. Raine

    Raine Guest

    Hi trout,
    I un-installed Quotefix.
    Checked the box with *>* in it.
    Yes, I have re-started OE6 after changes have been made, actually I had
    to re-boot the comp.
    If this is still presenting wrong then I am sorry.
    It's late, 3:45 am and I'm calling it quits and hitting the hay.
    Thanks for telling me how to do that setting.
    Another thing learnt!
    Goodnight.
    Raine.

    Raine, Aug 31, 2003
  15. Raine

    SgtMinor Guest

    Well, actually, my reply was to °Mike°. Threads are another thing to
    get used to.

    If you're familiar with word processing programs, you'll have noticed
    that the program automatically 'wraps' text that is too wide for the
    page to the next line. But if you later go back to that line, and add
    or remove some text, you'll see that the line now wraps after a
    different word. This is called a [SOFT RETURN] in that it can change,
    as opposed to a [HARD RETURN] which is placed in the document with the
    Enter key. These programming codes are contained within the document
    but are hidden from view. Most word processors I know have a 'reveal
    codes' option where you can see the codes in context.

    Before computers, people used typewriters, where a chime would announce
    that you were getting close to the margin so you could decide whether
    the word would fit, or decide to hyphenate it. You then would hit the
    Enter key on an electric machine, or jerk the page back to the left with
    a handle.

    When long-time typists first started using word processors they were so
    used to hitting the Enter key after every line that they did the same in
    the program. If they tried later to add text to a line their document
    was was suddenly all messed up. The text they added to the line they
    were editing forced the program to place a soft return. The line
    wrapped, and on the next line would be a single word followed by a hard
    return, which turned it into an orphan word. The rest of the sentences
    would be on the next line. Try it for yourself.

    Elsewhere in this cluster of responses you were advised to use a hard
    return should your settings not allow you reader to set soft returns.

    SgtMinor, Aug 31, 2003
  16. Raine

    trout Guest

    Now, we're back to importance of those 'attribution marks'.
    This is a good example. If you scroll down SgtMinor's post, you see that
    the *only* thing *without* an attribution mark beside it is his comment:
    "[SOFT RETURN]?"
    (as opposed to the "hard return" that Mike had mentioned).
    You can see from *his* post, that the link was actually left-over
    from Mike's signature.
    This is why they are also sometimes called "generation" marks, as
    when each poster's client adds a 'generation' of ">", it's easy to tell
    who said what.
    When everybody does it, the last poster quoted will have one mark
    beside their comments, the second-last will have two, and so on.
    Because your client isn't adding them, you can see, below, how there
    is no way to distinguish between what you said, and what SgtMinor said.
    I imagine you've changed the setting by now; but anyway, that's the
    explanation.

    trout, Aug 31, 2003
  17. Raine

    Boomer Guest

    Raine said:
    If you could find this message, to cut and paste, *why* didn't you
    reply to trout there??

    Boomer, Aug 31, 2003
  18. Raine

    Boomer Guest

    Hope you see her reply to this post, else where, in this thread.

    Boomer, Aug 31, 2003
  19. Raine

    trout Guest

    Yes, thanks. I did a quick double-take; and then just thought "oh,
    well".

    trout, Aug 31, 2003

  20. Btw... "^" is a caret (old proof-reading symbol) , not ">".

    The ">" is the greater than sign. ;-)

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 31, 2003