Re-installing norton internet security after a reformat

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by { Listerine Enema \), Jun 16, 2004.

  1. I reformatted my HD

    Using WinXP Home

    When I try to reinstall norton internet security i get an error message
    which reads " norton internet security installation has failed. do you wish
    to try again?"

    choosing yes does nothing but ask you yes again

    i ran the uninstall files found here :
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2003100708194336 and
    still the same thing.

    this is obvious but i know that the product is still installed because I am
    not asked for my product key. i did enter it once but never again.

    i cannot locate the item on my add/remove programs list

    i'm frustrated because this has been a great product up until now

    any suggestions for a working stiff? might i try a freeware registry
    cleaner?

    thanks in advance

    { Listerine Enema \), Jun 16, 2004

  2. I also ran something called nis2004xp_reg_removal and that didnt work
    either. I found this in another spot on the Symantic website

    thanks again

    { Listerine Enema \), Jun 16, 2004

  3. { Listerine Enema \)

    mark mandel Guest

    Try an uninstall in Safe mode.
    Do research first. These aren't necessarily what they're cracked up to be.

    mark mandel, Jun 16, 2004
  4. { Listerine Enema \)

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    So let me get this clear. you tried to install it and it failed part way
    through the installation??

    then when you tried to install it again it failed again and now wont let you
    install it??

    If this is the case i have seen this before. the reason you arent being
    asked for a serial code after it failed the first time is that it is stored
    in registry keys in the registry. Assuming you have no other Symantec
    software you need to locate these and errmm delete them, But bewarned
    incorrectly deleting the worng things can cause your system to become
    unusable. you also need to locate the "Temp" folders and clear those out.

    usually C:\windows\temp

    and

    C:\Documents and settings\(USER NAME)\Local settings\temp (2k & XP only)

    thne navigate around looking for things like symantec in the program files
    folder. and it sometimes (depending on how far into the installation it got)
    creates symantec registration bits in the add/remove programs also
    liveupdate. but you need these if you have other symantec products.

    it also creates a folder in C:\ but i cant remember what it's called. this
    is some of the temporary files it creates during setup.

    This is quite a long "Fix" but it does work as long as you remember that
    deleting the registry entries and the other bits if you have any other
    symantec products will cause more problems.

    chip_y2kuk, Jun 16, 2004
  5. okay everybody, thanks

    <wandering off toward internet>

    { Listerine Enema \), Jun 16, 2004