RCA to s-video

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ardent, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Posted to both 24hoursupport.helpdesk and sci.electronics

    In this particular case Google was not my friend :-(

    I have my videocam which has a RCA video output. The capture card
    someone gave me has only S-Video input.

    I have a sort of S-Video to RCA cable that has two RCA plugs at one
    end and if I connect one of them to the card I get only black and
    white images. When I plug the other one, there is nothing :-( :-(

    Apparently one is for Imminence and the other Chrominence and I
    believe that some gizmo is needed to separate the signal off the RCA
    output from the Videocam and feed them separately to the S-Video
    input.

    Am in correct? If co where can I get a circuit so that I can build
    one?

    Many thanks in advance for your time and attention.

    Ardent, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Ardent

    old jon Guest

    Google will be your friend here, `cos you don`t mention where
    in the world you are.
    www.google.co.uk and type in RCA to S-Video.
    Don`t know where you`d find a cicuit tho`.
    Perhaps your local college has an electronics department, the boys
    there would know.

    old jon, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I have a couple here which came with a couple of video cards, and one
    which came with a video camera. They are called svideo to composite
    adapters.

    A circuit to make one is at
    http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 24, 2006
  4. Ardent

    Sucuba Dude Guest

    :
    " I have a sort of S-Video to RCA cable that has two RCA plugs at one
    : end and if I connect one of them to the card I get only black and
    : white images. When I plug the other one, there is nothing :-( :-("

    You may find you get the occasional burst of colour or unreliable
    colour.
    It can be overcome with this: http://www.svideo.com/rcatosvideo.html
    They are in the states but have shipped to me in the UK without
    problems.

    Hope it helps.

    Sucuba Dude, Feb 24, 2006
  5. Ardent

    me Guest

    try www.cablesnmor.com they have cables and connectors for just about any
    configuration you can think of of

    me, Feb 24, 2006
  6. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    Hi

    That did it. And thanks for the link.

    Funny thing is I have most of Tomi Engdahl's pages archived in CD a
    few years back but I never thought this would have been dealt with
    there.

    The color is back with all brilliance and thanks you once again and
    thanks to the others who also tried to help.

    Ardent, Feb 26, 2006
  7. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Pleased the info helped, good luck.