    The current OS is winXP home edition SP2. I think it has a RAID system.

    When I put the Windows XP 64 bit disc in, windows setup cannot find any hard
    drives.

    Guest, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 1, 2005

  3. Since, by own designation, being a novice - the term 'F6 Drivers' may have
    little meaning. If you look at the bottom of the screen at the very early
    face of the installation, you will see a notice: "Press F6 if you have any
    SCSI Devices" or something close to that. If you do that, nothing much
    appears to happen except the installation continuing, but later it will ask
    you to put a floppy-disk provided by the manufacturer in the 'floppy drive'.
    Often those floppies aren't supplied with the Hardware, but you need to hunt
    them down your self.

    Now, RAID is not SCSI - but it is using the SCSI sub-system to interface
    with the OS, so this is something you must provide for. AND, if you need to
    use the installation again, later - then you must have that floppy ready
    even though it is already installed and functioning in the machine. This is
    all an 'installation' issue.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Sorry, but I need step by step instructions.

    My controller is Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller.

    I cannot find an update for this driver.

    Please help.

    Guest, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Is
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-VAIO-VGC-RC102-Home-Server-Your-Entertainment-Server-8567.shtml
    what you have?

    On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:47:02 -0800, "Novice user" <Novice
    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Actually, it should be "Yes Madam!!" :)

    After checking out that link from Barb, I have say, that does not look like
    an appropriate system for Windows XP Professional x64. Windows XP Home
    Edition or Media Center Edition 2005 would be more suitable. Windows XP
    Professional is a Technical workstation operating system, its not surprising
    if most of the digital media based work you might want to do with Windows
    might not be advantageous on this version of the Windows XP operating system
    because of certain things such as device driver and application
    compatibility. You say you are novice and this is one of the type of users
    that was pointed out in the web cast by Charlie Russel that Windows XP
    Professional x64 is not suited for.
    You might want to check that out here:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    Please don't think I'm saying you are not smart enough, I am just want you
    to make sure its the right decision to move to XP Professional x64.

    I wrote a short article about Windows x64 and if you really should bother
    with it:
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta/Blog/cns!1ppieQf0aF6k7J0XYrJfhfMQ!1420.entry

    Charlie also has another nice article about installing your Storage drivers
    in Windows XP Professional x64 which can only be done during the text based
    portion of setup, worth reading:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Please dont misunderstand me. I wanted 2 co-existing operating systems which
    I can boot into depending on what I wanted to do, ie I want to keep Windows
    XP home edition AS WELL AS INSTALLING WINDOWS XP 64 Bit O/S on another heard
    drive.

    Please help, I would be grateful isf someone can give me precise answers to
    solve my problem, I have read so many articles, I am confused...

    Guest, Dec 2, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  10. I didn't see Intel listing any SATA/RAID Product by that name on their
    site - and Sony's site is hard to navigate without a Sony system - perhaps
    the quickest and most productive approach for you would be to contact Sony
    support and simply ask them for a 64bit driver for your specific product.
    Lots of products - even from the big boys, doesn't have any support, and
    your best option then is to buy a RAID Controller Card that is known to be
    supported, driver-in-hand, the installation procedure is relatively
    straightforward, just be carefull and read all the information on the screen
    before accepting what is offered.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  12. It's a coooold night here - that is warming!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 2, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 3, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for all the support from the helpers here at the forum.

    However I have almost given up on the idea, I have wasted money in
    purchasing the windows XP 64 bit OEM but cannit use it.

    I have probelms also because I have no floppy drive where I can boot to!

    I guess I need someone to explain step by step and also to supply me the
    relevant download I need! I know its allot to ask, but I am asking for
    anyones help....

    Many Thanks again everyone who has responded.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005
  15. It should easy enough to install a floppy drive. They are not as useless as
    some claim.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  16. If the machine in question - being a kind of 'dedicated Media' type, as I
    understood - cannot easily support the inclusion of a floppy drive, others
    have reported that external USB Floppy drives can be made to work if the
    BIOS supports it.

    As for the step-by-step, it would have to be superficial, unless someone
    with the same machine can step in. Most have already been said here, I
    think.

    As for the Link, it would be dependent on what RAID Controler you get, an
    Adaptec card would be easy to lay hands on, and they are generally well
    supported I believe. Pay them a visit:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...+US&cat=/Technology/RAID&fromPage=driverindex

    this page names their SATA/RAID Controlers - the only one with no 64bit
    support is the '1210SA'.

    Get yourself one of the others and download that driver, if it isn't
    included in the package.

    Then,
    1. Boot your current XP Home
    2. Create a Primary Partition for XP x64
    3. Re-Boot with the XP x64 CD
    4. When installation starts - at the bottom of the screen, you'll
    see a message to press 'F6', do that!
    5. Later on, the installation will ask you to insert the floppy, and
    most times it will find what it is looking for, some times
    you may have to point it to the actual driver name - read the documentation
    that came with the card.
    6. Now, the Primary Partition you created should be visible and you
    can direct the installation to use that Partition.
    If all that stuff about partitions is already enough, you can
    skip those steps and let the installation do it for you,
    some experts are of the opinion that it is 'over the top', many happy
    amateurs, like my self, feel it is safer and decidedly
    'nicer' to have it that way. (With the Primary Partition).
    7. The Installation finaly re-Boots the machine and if all went
    well, you'll be more or less finished!
    8. Get yourself a subscription to a good computer magazine. You
    need to feed your mind with some vocabulary!

    Superficial, as I said - and most likely I forgot something important - but
    we will be warned if I did. Good luck!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 5, 2005