RAW Shooter Premium - did you upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Just wondering how many forked over $60 for the Premium version
    compared to those who decided the free 'Essentials' version was good
    enough ...

    I didn't have time to evaluate Premium very carefully but most of the
    new features looked pretty fluffy to me with my workflow. I would have
    liked to have tried Curves and maybe the interpolation feature. But it
    bugged me they still skimp on the EXIF data and the files I tested
    didn't seem that different between RSE and RSP. I also have two more
    full upgrades paid for with Capture One so I passed on RSP for now but
    was wondering how many picked it up.

    You have to wonder about a marketing strategy that calls for giving
    away a product like RSE that's not that feature-limited compared to the
    one they're now selling for $100.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton

    carrigman Guest

    I didn't bother with the Premium. RSE is fine for my purposes. I prefer to
    fine tune the finished photo in CS2.

    John,
    Ireland

    carrigman, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Bill Hilton

    This old Bob Guest

    Hi John, I'm interested to know what Adobe Camera Raw for CS2 didn't do for
    you?

    This old Bob, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bob writes ...
    I'm not John, but both Capture One and RSE gave me better results with
    my Canon cameras than CS RAW or the Canon software. Easy enough to
    download the free trial versions and compare for yourself and your
    cameras.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Bill Hilton

    JimKramer Guest

    Hi Bill,

    I upgraded more to support the company than because of the features. I
    though RSE was great as it was. For straight RAW conversion I
    haven't seen anything I like better.

    That said, things worthy of comment on RSP
    The color balance wheel is very fast.
    The scalable output is OK for down sizing, but at 150% and over I would
    use something more sophisticated.
    The curve/levels is fairly flexible, individual color channels would be
    nice.
    The magnifier is nice, but hard to get in to using
    The RGB readout is great for watching the highlights.
    Over all, the program seems to run just a bit faster.

    The most aggravating thing about it is the attached menu blocks. I
    would love to move most of the menus to the second monitor and look at
    just the image on the first.

    Jim

    JimKramer, Nov 7, 2005
  7. I tried to buy the upgrade but the their system for some strange reason
    rejected my card 3 times. I got a call from the visa card company the next
    day asking what was going on. Apparently the system would charge my card
    then turn around and credit my card back. Anyway the only answer they could
    come up with was use a different card. I can't do that as they don't take
    any other card I have, or call Germany direct to order. As I'm the USA, I
    didn't feel like doing an international call for that, so I guess they just
    can't sell me the software. I liked the trial software and I will continue
    to use the free version.

    John Passaneau, Nov 7, 2005
  8. Bill Hilton

    Annika1980 Guest

    I upgraded. I figured for $59, what the hell. Cheaper than the first
    ACR plugin Adobe used to sell. If the price had been $100 I'd have
    stayed with the free version. Five bucks says that version won't be
    available much longer.

    I like the color wheel particularly. I don't know why Photoshop
    doesn't have this. Silverfast scanning software has it as well as RSP.

    Annika1980, Nov 8, 2005
  9. Bill,
    I bought it, but haven't installed it yet--I had a trip to
    Hawaii--just got back.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 8, 2005
  10. Bill Hilton

    Chip Gallo Guest

    Bill -- I bought it for $59 but probably would have passed on the $100.
    Tried the trial and it simplified the tasks I have to do with RAW files
    and I try to support inexpensive software where possible. (If and when I
    make income with photography, maybe I'll get CS2.) The recent Fall
    Foliage pictures here were adjusted with RAWShooter; shot with a Canon
    20D, 10-22 and 17-85 Canon lenses, but please excuse any excesses due to
    my student status with the app:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipgallo

    Chip Gallo

    Chip Gallo, Nov 8, 2005