    David J. Littleboy
    Just a satisfied RSP customer in
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005

  2. David J. Littleboy

    Mike G. Guest

    I think US$99.

    Mike G., Oct 28, 2005

  3. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    Hey, thanks for the heads up, David!
    Bill Hilton turned me on to RSE and I've been enjoying this great little
    FREE program ever since.
    I find I use it more than either CS RAW or C1.
    -Just like it.
    Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.

    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
  4. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    I just checked...
    US$59...not 99.
    :)
    Ordered.

    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
  5. The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
    only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
    with US$99.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 28, 2005
  6. David J. Littleboy

    Mark² Guest

    Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.
    Only complaint is that RSE has always seemed to be a bit of a memory hog...
    works great though.
    -This will save time for shots where only minimal correction is required,
    rather than having to open into PS.
    Often I have a lot of "snap-shot" type images that require no more than a
    bit of EV adjustment in RSE, but I would still have to open in PS for
    levels. I'm sure I'll always use PShop for any serious images, but this is
    great for a quick workflow with tons of other images.

    The vibrance slider it interesting.

    Mark², Oct 28, 2005
  7. Just to be clear the newsletter I received states the $59 price is good
    through Oct. 31,2005 and would appear only available to those who have
    registered RSE.

    "The list price is $99.00. It’s a great price for a great product, but
    wait, there is more to come. To show our thanks for your loyal support of
    the essentials product we’re giving registered users a one-time amazing
    discount upgrade price of $59.00. This offer will only be available if the
    product is purchased during the remaining days of October. You will be able
    to pay in your local currency when downloading from our e-Shop."

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 28, 2005
  8. David J. Littleboy

    Annika1980 Guest

    Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
    I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more and
    more.
    Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.

    I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
    slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
    How can you have less than zero?
    Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

    I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
    When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were

    sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.

    Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
    great program.

    Annika1980, Oct 28, 2005
  9. RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
    none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
    mentioned.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Oct 28, 2005
  10. David J. Littleboy

    Annika1980 Guest

    RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
    I didn't need to RTFHF to see that since the slider goes down to -50.
    My point was that they did it that way as a marketing ploy to make the
    results sharper at the default setting of "0."

    Besides, who reads help files?

    Annika1980, Oct 28, 2005
  11. -50 sharpness is what other converters could call '0'. The truth is
    that all converters have 'some' sort of sharpening (due to the native
    conversion algorithm) applied. RSE/RSP just extracts more detail than
    others. If you need to post-process, just turn default Sharpening
    to -50 for low sharpening like some other converters.
    That is another conversion trade-off setting, IMO best left at 'zero'.
    RSE/RSP allows to do that with their Procession bias parameter
    settings set to -50.
    It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    Chromatic Aberration correction without human intervention.
    Yes, its workflow is excellent with a possibility to automatically
    post-process in you favorite photoeditor for additional tweaking.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 30, 2005
  12. SNIP
    They've added it to the RSP version by popular demand, and it is
    helpful (single control for both). There are (obviously) several
    useful expansions over the free version (e.g. magnifier,
    Curves/Levels, non-destructive Cropping and rotation (leveling), and
    "Vibrance" control).

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 30, 2005
  13. David J. Littleboy

    W (winhag) Guest

    It's more than mere marketing. RSE/RSP also does (most) default
    Bart,

    Do you know this to be fact? (that RSE/RSP does 'automatic' CA
    correction). I have taken the same image with CA through ACR with
    manual CA correction as well as RSE. RSE appeared to 'correct' the CA,
    however there were artifacts. Specifically, the CA appeared on the edge
    of a roof against a bright sky (near the edge of the frame). On the ACR
    conversion, the CA was manually eliminated leaving a natural transition
    from 'sky' to 'roof'. On the RSE conversion, there appeared to be dark
    band along the inside line(i.e. on the roof) of the roof. So I am
    wondering if RSE did true CA correction ( spatially scaling RGB
    components) or did some other 'edge' processing which appeared to
    correct CA but was really doing something else?

    W (winhag), Oct 30, 2005
  14. Yes I'm sure, RSE/RSP does reduce the CA. It is not perfect, there can
    be some remainders, but they will probably be invisible in print.
    Whether it is true CA removal, it seems unlikely because that would
    probably require to also remove any pincushion/barrel distortion
    before applying a symmetrical correction.
    That may have been a blooming artifact rather than CA, but it would
    take a closer inspection of the Raw file to make sure.

    SNIP
    It is likely to be some kind of edge processing that hides the colored
    edges, but I could be wrong. The effect does improve the image by
    reducing colored edges.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Oct 31, 2005
  15. David J. Littleboy

    W (winhag) Guest

    It is likely to be some kind of edge processing that hides the colored
    'hide' colored edges but it seems this is at a cost of other (albeit
    less obvious) artifacts. I prefer to sit there manually with ACR and
    tweak the CA correction parameters to get a better more truly corrected
    result.

    W (winhag), Oct 31, 2005