RAW convertors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tully, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Tully

    Tully Guest

    I'm cheap. there, that's out of the way.

    I resisted shooting RAW at all, because I'm too cheap to upgrade from
    Photoshop Cs to CS2 or 3. Once I found out I could use Nikon's VuewNX, I
    started shooting RAW files, and it opened up lots of new options for me.

    With my older Mac, I often crash ViewNX when I try to convert another
    version of a RAW file which has had any corrections applied to any files
    in that downloaded group.

    This is an inconvenience to say the least, since I really like to have
    multiple versions which have had tone curves or exposure cx done in the
    conversion process. I should add that this is one of only two programs
    that are at all unstable on my computer (the other is iView). I can't
    remember the last time any other software went into an endless loop or
    quit unexpectedly.

    I would look into UFRaw if I could figure out hoe to download & install
    it, but I am unfamiliar with the entire Gimp thing, and when it comes to
    any sort of command line code, I'm lost.

    Anyone know of a Raw convertor program that comes in simple to install
    ..pkg or .app files for the Mac?

    I'm running OSX (10.4.11, as I'm also too cheap to buy 10.5 just yet).

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Tully

    Paul Furman Guest

    Well I'm on a PC but as I recall, I simply installed Gimp in order to
    get UFRaw, which may not be obvious so I thought I'd mention that. They
    talk about jumping through command line hoops to install *only* UFRaw
    but it is not necessary. And Gimp isn't so bad either.

    Paul Furman, Dec 19, 2007

  3. Tully

    Guest Guest

    odd, i used to use iview a lot and rarely had a problem with it. which
    version do you have?
    not worth the trouble.
    raw therapee is free, but i have no idea if it's any good.

    <http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=features>

    also, iphoto can read the raw files but it doesn't really offer the
    full potential of editing raw.

    Guest, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Tully

    Tully Guest

    I don't even know what Gimp is. I guess I always thought it was
    something people used instead of Photoshop. More research is in the
    future for me, I guess

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007
  5. Tully

    acl Guest

    It's great. At the worst, not worse than ACR in terms of quality (I
    find it better). He offers a compiled binary for linux, but I don't
    know if it runs on OSX (frankly, I know nothing about OSX). Source is
    not available so it can't be recompiled.

    acl, Dec 19, 2007
  6. Tully

    Tully Guest

    iVew MediaPro v1.4
    Some would not complain about the rare problems I've had with it. It
    will crash when a corrupted JPEG is in the folder being cataloged, and I
    have had it refuse to quit several times (Quit command grayed out in
    menu when this happens).
    no Mac version...there's Linux, but I'm just an operator, not a
    knowledgeable (geek) type...think of a good driver who is a lousy
    mechanic, and you have me pegged
    I can do an unaltered conversion (camera values unchanged) just fine
    with ViewNX. It's when I want a 48-bit TFF with tweaks similar to
    D-lighting that I run into trouble. It could be my underpowered computer
    that's the problem. G4 with dual 1 Gb processors, 1.75 gb RAM

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007
  7. Tully

    Paul Furman Guest

    Yes it's like Photoshop and comes with UFRaw. You don't have to run Gimp
    to run UFRaw. UFRaw has some interesting and advanced options but some
    problems like no 100% zoom (50%?) & not exactly instant visualization
    with adjusting sliders but it would probably be good for the sort of
    tinkering you are talking about as a second alternative.

    Paul Furman, Dec 19, 2007
  8. Tully

    Guest Guest

    1.4??? that's ancient. 3.0 came out two years ago and i don't
    remember when 2.x came out. it's up to 3.1.something now, but
    (unfortunately), it was recently purchased by microsoft, and now called
    expression media.
    all of it. gimp is more trouble than it's worth (and i'm sure i'll get
    flamed for saying that). you said you had photoshop cs which is
    lightyears beyond what gimp can even dream to do. all you need is the
    raw conversion step.

    which camera do you have?

    and i just thought of another option -- you can download adobe camera
    raw and use it to convert your images to dng, without photoshop, and
    then once it is in dng format, you can then use your version of
    photoshop to process them further.
    so much for that idea. i had it confused with raw developer which is
    mac only, but unfortunately, not free:

    <http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html>

    Guest, Dec 19, 2007
  9. Tully

    Tully Guest

    "cutting edge" and "cheap" rarely live in the same house
    what--here?
    I'm shocked!
    is this right?

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007
  10. Tully

    default Guest

    You can load Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 into Photoshop CS.
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/
    the file you want is Camera_Raw_2_4.dmg

    Then if your camera isn't supported in ACR 2.4 then download the latest DNG
    convertor from:
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/4.x/
    the file you want is DNG_Camera_Raw_4_3_1.dmg

    Use the DNG convertor to convert your raw files to DNG. This is lossless.
    Now use Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 in your Photoshop CS to open your DNG files and
    do your RAW editing before transferring to Photoshop for finishing.

    All of this is completely free, so you're not out a cent and you have a
    permanent, reliable solution with a good RAW converter.

    Good luck

    default, Dec 19, 2007
  11. Tully

    Tully Guest

    Now I'm confused again. I need to download and install Cimp so I can
    install UFRaw, but then UFRaw will be a standalone? How can that be
    unless it's an application? It looks to me like it's a plug-in.

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007
  12. Tully

    Guest Guest

    that's a nice camera for someone who is 'cheap' :)
    yep, and detailed instructions were just posted, and it's probably the
    best and easiest solution.

    Guest, Dec 19, 2007
  13. Tully

    Tully Guest

    This looks very interesting and I'm going to pursue it. The thing that
    stopped me before was that I need ACR 4.3.1 for D80 NEF's, and that
    requires CS3, and we've already established that I throw money around
    like nickels were manhole covers.

    I think I understand everything you've written here. Will report back.

    Thanks.

    Tully, Dec 19, 2007
  14. Tully

    Paul Furman Guest

    Correct. UF needs some stuff that's installed with Gimp so that's the
    simplest way to install UF.

    Paul Furman, Dec 19, 2007
  15. Tully

    Paul Furman Guest

    The new version installed with a couple clicks & was no hassle at all.
    That said, it has some issues and is not photoshop.
    Oh yeah this is the way to go!

    I missed that part... thought you wanted to tinker with another kind of
    raw conversion & things were crashing having two programs open...
    nevermind :)

    Paul Furman, Dec 19, 2007
  16. Tully

    irwell Guest

    http://meetthegimp.org/getting-the-old-shows/
    This writer has a good tutorial on Gimp and UFRaw
    at the above link. His other tutes are worth a look.

    irwell, Dec 19, 2007
  17. Tully

    default Guest

    DNG converter 4.3.1 can convert the NEFs to DNGs that ACR 2.4 will open in
    CS. You just have the extra step of converting the files which takes a few
    minutes. Not a big deal.

    Since manhole covers are damn heavy, I presume that means you don't throw it
    around. Nice simile.

    default, Dec 19, 2007
  18. Tully

    ray Guest

    FWIW - I do raw processing with ufraw and gimp. I found it quite simple to
    install, but then I run Linux which, by the way, is also entirely free. It
    was a simple matter of starting synaptic from the system menu and
    selecting ufraw and gimp then clicking apply.

    ray, Dec 19, 2007
  19. Tully

    ww77f Guest

    There's a free one for OS X called Raw Photo Processor, I even think
    it's on Apple.com

    Will

    ww77f, Dec 19, 2007
  20. Tully

    Soujourner Guest

    Photoline www.pl32.net has a Mac version and it imports/reads any RAW format
    thrown at it. Even on cameras that haven't been released yet. How do I know
    this? Because every with every new camera in the past that came out, PL32 was
    the only program that could read the new RAW formats until every other program
    finally caught up.

    Soujourner, Dec 20, 2007