    only 64Kb when using ftp, but let him use as
    much bandwidth as he wants when doing
    other stuff on the Internet.

    Captain, Apr 5, 2004

  2. :Using "rate-limit" and "access-list" is it possible
    :to limit total bandwidth that a single user is using
    :eek:n certain port numbers?

    :Anotherwords, I want to limit a certain user to
    :eek:nly 64Kb when using ftp, but let him use as
    :much bandwidth as he wants when doing
    :eek:ther stuff on the Internet.

    As I recall, the ability to do that would depend upon the hardware
    involved and the software revision.

    If your equipment supported it, you could create two route-maps,
    one that matched only ftp, and the other that matched everything else.
    You then feed those route-maps in to the traffic policing function.
    Might require an intermediate step of setting different QoS values in
    the route-maps and I'll have to mumble here about how much QoS
    infrastructure you'd have to set up at the same time.

    The exact clauses supported on route-maps varies -- e.g., it
    is plausible that you couldn't do it on a Cat2950 or Cat3550 but
    you might plausibly gain the extra clauses on a Cat3750. But you'd
    want to read the documentation in detail to be sure (especially if you
    have one of those models -- I tend to mix up the model restrictions
    because in many ways they are very similar.)

    Walter Roberson, Apr 5, 2004