rate-limit - CAR

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AM, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. AM

    AM Guest

    I'm trying to run some experiments with CAR.

    First of all I tried to download an iso image from a server of my provider.
    I've got a constant download rate closest to the maximum bandwidth available. The most important
    thing was the constance. My line features are DW 640kbits/sec- UP 128kbits/sec

    Then I started to apply CAR to all traffic.

    The statement i've applied to the WAN inerface (dialer) was

    rate-limit input 320000 3000 3000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

    It means that I suppose that for those interface the average is 320 kbits/sec. The download rate was
    expected to go down close to 30 Kbytes/sec but the download rate remained fixed to 67 Kbytes/sec.

    Where I was wrong?
    The rate limit seems not to drop anything because the sh int rate-limit says there are no dropped
    packets.

    Help me to understand CAR for the simplest test one can run...

    Which values should I put to see the download rate going down?

    TIA Alex.

    AM, Apr 20, 2006

  2. AM

    ben.carbery Guest

    Sounds like the CAR is not actually doing anything.
    I have used CAR on ethernet sub-interfaces before but not dialers. You
    may even need to apply it to the physical interface. I would browse the
    Cisco site to figure out where you should apply it.

    ben.carbery, Apr 21, 2006

  3. AM

    Guest Guest

    Hi Alex. - tray this example

    interface FastEthernet1/0
    rate-limit input access-group 120 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action
    continue exceed-action drop
    rate-limit output access-group 121 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action
    continue exceed-action drop
    rate-limit output access-group 122 2000000 500000 500000 conform-action
    continue exceed-action drop

    access-list 120 permit ip host 217.xx.yy.zz any
    access-list 121 permit ip any host 217.xx.yy.zx
    access-list 122 permit tcp any any eq smtp

    Hope it helps

    Manuel

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006
  4. AM

    ben.carbery Guest

    There's nothing wrong with his config line - this only adds unnecessary
    complexity

    ben.carbery, Apr 21, 2006
  5. AM

    AM Guest

    I apllied the rate-limit to the ATM0 (the router allowed me to do that) but... nothing :-(

    Where am I wrong?

    Alex.

    AM, Apr 29, 2006